View Single Post
Old 27th February 2011, 02:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'enfant Errant View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you on the subject, it's just one I deal with on a pretty regular basis, and it just drives me nuts when I see transfers of films I love using tricks like EE or vertical filtering when all they really have to do is kick up the stinkin' bitrate...
You´re right about what you said.
I also deal with the subject on a regular basis... daily.
I just said about the compression artifacts without going deeper into the technical stuff because many folks are not into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'enfant Errant View Post
Technicolor Rome, huh? Those same guys who did those much loved restorations for SUSPIRIA and SALO? Well, at least we've got no reason to assume anything they do is a mess...

I'd be curious if Mr. Salvati would be as enthused with his transfer of THE BEYOND as much now as he was over a decade ago. Technology improves, after all, and it's entirely possible that some aspects of the Grindhouse transfer were a compromise for the SDTV's which would have been the norm at the time.

Think of it this way; Sam Raimi approved both the Elite DVD transfer and the Anchor Bay Blu-ray transfer for THE EVIL DEAD (Caps-A-Holic comparison), which look quite a bit different in terms of overall contrast and color timing. Was Raimi "wrong" back in 1999? Is he "wrong" now? Or was the Elite transfer simply the best the film could look using now antiquated technology, while the Blu-ray is the best the film can look using contemporary techniques? My vote goes for each being a perfectly valid presentation for the era and the format they were made on - but those formats change pretty dramatically over the space of just a decade.

The best thing to do would be to get Mr. Salvati involved and have him go over the HD materials, since there's probably a world of difference between what a post house could do today and what they would have done back in 2000... but, I can already imagine a multitude of reasons why that may not happen. So unless he does get involved, at least there's no reason to assume the Grindhouse materials aren't at least reasonably close to how the film "should" look...
That was just a quote I found on the Grindhouse Releasing site. You have reasons to disregard their recent Suspiria restorations but don´t forget the Anchor Bay/Blue Underground restoration of Suspiria was one of the best video restorations of it´s time. Also, their Anchor Bay/Grindhouse Releasing of The Beyond was great.

I´ll not talk about The Evil Dead because every time the movie gets released (lost count) it has something of a different look/twikering. I still haven´t buy the Blue-Ray and the only version I have is the Ultimate Edition from Anchor Bay R1 and I´m pretty happy with it for the meantime.

And let´s not star about Star Wars...