View Single Post
Old 8th March 2011, 08:13 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It is one thing being able to watch, listen or read whatever you want in your own home but it is something else when it becomes public, as on this forum. Just as you can't consistently use foul language which may upset other users, the same is true for usernames which are in the public domain and may cause offence.

It has nothing to do with censorship, it was a polite request for the consideration of others.
Complete rubbish, it is censorship. I appreciate big brother watching over us on the forum to make a better place. But really? The films Arrow and Shameless are releasing are far from PC or are for kids. It is hypocritical to ask a user to change their name on those grounds (on the "public domain"), where elsewhere on the site you can watch the banned segments cut from the films (on the "public domain"). I for one am not a kid and find it hilarious that usernames are being watched.
Now, if someone may say "excuse me, but I don't appreciate that name because of this and that", then ok, by all means politely ask the user to change the name. If they are offended by that, well should they change the name?

Not being able to use foul language is another aspect to laugh at....but let's not go there...

Let's not forget the suggestion I made about emailing the BBFC about Inferno. Some people may be offended by seeing a mouse being chewed on, but it was perfectly ok by the CL community for members to mail the BBFC for keeping it. And we won! Nothing really said against it as it was a majority for it....

Not having a go, just sprouting my two cents.