View Single Post
Old 9th March 2011, 07:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-Ray did I hear!
If any film is going to get me to sign-up to this forum (after a good year of lurking) it is this one.

Pleased to hear that Shameless are behind this, it seems to me a no-brainer, if any film would be worth throwing a hefty advertising campaign behind it is this one ("the most notorious nasty of all time....blah, blah, blah"), they could make a mint off this one, if done well, drawing in the casual fan and the aficionado.

As for the new-cut I do hope it is merely the removal of the animal cruelty (which adds nothing to the powerful nature of the film) and addition of new scenes (we can all hope!).

Taking a steer from Melonfarmers, how much of the below do we feel would remain intact when resubmitted to the BBFC (bar the animal cruelty):

The distributor therefore agreed to make five minutes 44 seconds of cuts to remove unacceptable elements, after which the film was passed '18' for video and DVD release.

* The killing of a muskrat has been deleted
* Our intrepid adventurers witness the riverside murder and mutilation of a woman presumably by her husband. We don't get to witness:
o the girl being dragged through the mud and having her legs forced apart
o the girl struggling and being raped with a wooden dildo
o the man raising a mudball with spikes and the subsequent shot of genital mutilation
* Another woman getting raped on the river bank has been removed
* The disembowelling of a giant turtle has been predictably deleted
* A monkey gets his head sliced open and its blood is drained into a bowl...but not in the censored version
* The kicking of a tethered pig has been removed and its subsequent shooting and death
* The rape one of a native girl by 3 men has been reduced
* The cannibals eventually overpower the adventurers. The woman in the party gets stripped and raped but not in the UK version.
* The woman's death scene is missing nudity shots.

I remember the first rape scene with the wooden dildo being particularly disturbing on the first viewing (Ortolani's score making it all the more so), I would have my doubts as to that scene and the scene with the genital mutilation after the spiked mud ball.

Thoughts?

In any event an exclusive cut of the film presented by Deodato in glorious H.D is something to wet the appetite and presents much intrigue, no doubt one of 2011's most anticipated releases.

Good luck with it folks.

(oh and hello everyone!)