View Single Post
Old 10th March 2011, 03:07 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
The difference between the sexual violence and the animal violence is that the animal violence is REAL.

This is where I feel the distinction becomes blurred. The animal violence isn't real; the animal violence was real. The animal violence was real 30 years ago at a time when the world was a much more violent place and when approach to film was very different to what it is now. What you are seeing on film are the deaths and mutilations, torture and eviscerations of animals, captured on celluloid for the purposes of cinematic "entertainment" three decades ago. Foul as it may be, its as much a part of Deodato's original expolitative vision as the guns the agents used in ET which Spielberg later regretted and removed when he revisited the film in more politically correct climes.

Animals are slaughtered every day for food, for sport, for fun. It happens the world over, and removing offensive sequences from this 30 year old film will not alter the fact that it happened then, was filmed then, and should be seen now for the true "story" of Cannibal Holocaust to be fully "appreciated".

As for the human actors and, particularly, actresses who were so degraded by their roles within the film, I would like to know from Sarah where she acquired the information that the heavily pregnant lady appeared in the film through choice. I have never seen a written or filmed interview with the actress and wondered if she did this out of necessity for money, or food. I would be very pleased to know her appearance in the film was of her own choosing for this singular scene, as far as I am concerned, is horrendously more disgusting than anything involving the on screen death of unintelligent animals.

The woman is pregnant, heavily, carrying a live growing baby, and is appearing naked in a violent sequence exploiting that very fact. Exploiting the growing child within her. The fact that this scene was shot with a genuinely pregnant lady I find truly repulsive - and it continues to surprise me that this is not talked about more.

Perhaps this is because a huge proportion of the audience for Cannibal Holocaust is male.