View Single Post
Old 11th March 2011, 12:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This is interesting news indeed. I'll be curious to see how Deodato approaches this and, if he pulls off something unique, I'll certainly give it a watch.

However....I do feel that this a film that is best viewed in its entirety. I know many people find the animal violence distasteful, and it certainly is, but, like it or not, it's part of the fabric of the film - it's where it gained its notoriety from. Now I know people on here are saying it's a powerful film sans animal cruelty - but the point is, in the back of your mind, even though you're watching the film without it, you still know that such scenes were filmed. For me, it's part of Deodato's statement, it has context, even if we don't like his methods. The entire film is about voyeurism - the voyeurism of violence. For every unspeakable act there is someone watching. When the tribal girl is raped by the filmmakers, there's a tribesmen nearby watching. When the turtle's head is removed it is placed to watch its own dismemberment. Then we have Monroe and the team watching the footage - and we see the filmmakers themselves filming every atrocity. Finally, there's us, the viewer, It's uncomfortbale stuff and profoundly disturbing. It leaves a mark quite unlike any other film. It questions the validity of violence as entertainment and ponders on how far we will go to obtain that entertainment. It's also very reactionary, kicking out against the recently popular Mondo cycle. Deodato even gets in Riz Ortolani, who also scored many of the Mondo films. And lest we kid ourselves that Mondo films weren't popular, let's not forget that Mondo Cane got an Oscar nomination for it's title song - which clearly shows that a film such as that was in the public consciousness.

However, Cannibal Holocaust can never be legally released uncut in the UK, so I think Shameless are doing the best thing possible, and that is to get Deodato on board. That will certain pique interest amongst genre fans.

Like I say, it'll be a curio and I'll certainly check it out. But, ultimately, for the mighty Cannibal Holocaust, it's uncut all the way with me. I just hope that this version doesn't become a revisionist rewriting of cinematic history. As much as we may disapprove of the animal violence, it was filmed and it is part of the film.

And no, I don't 'enjoy' animal violence, but removing the footage or refusing to watch it doesn't change a thing. In fact, as I've said before, these films should remain intact to show that these things did happen and not let filmmakers off the hook. How can you give acclaim to a film that's had the bits you don't like cut out? They were still filmed, it suddenly didn't not happen. Either you like the film or you don't. In the making of Cannibal Holocaust real animals were killed on camera. Whether you see it or not, it still happened. So either shun it completely or accept it for what it is. Don't suddenly embrace it because the censors have made it more palatable for you, I find that a tad hypocritical. And I mean no offence by that, just stating my point of view.

Last edited by Daemonia; 11th March 2011 at 01:03 AM.