View Single Post
Old 30th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd love to be the voice of information but, quite frankly, I just don't have the answers to those queries.

In terms of Storaro's wish that the DVD be designed to fit a widescreen television, has anyone else seen that massive LCD/plasma (I forget which) that isn't your traditional widescreen, but is actually 2.35:1 so you can watch those CinemaScope and Panavision films without the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?
When I worked selling televisions our shop had one of these. A 56" Philips with a 2.35:1 ratio screen and two-channel Ambi-Light. It was a ridiculous price, and even when the price was slashed to half-price to get rid of it, it was still a ridiculous price!

We had a look at some movies on it (Suspiria, Once Upon A Time In The West) and yeah, they looked quite good filling the whole screen, but it wasn't spectacular. The black bars at the top and bottom of a 2.35:1 framed movie doesn't bother me in the slightest. And as Paul noted above, everything else you watched on it was pillar-boxed. The picture quality wasn't so hot on that screen either. Worthless and gimmicky.