View Single Post
Old 12th April 2011, 06:28 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. The turtle death is the most protracted, vile scene of animal cruelty in the entire film! No way could it be described as quick, clean or humane.

As has already been stated, this was not a formal classification by the BBFC - thats still to come. I will be amazed if the turtle scene is left intact.
As Sarah just mentioned the head is severed cleanly right at the start of the scene and all you're seeing after that is the motor reflex - it's not nice but the common understanding is that the suffering would be minimal. If you had your head cleanly sliced off in an instant you'd twitch around too but you would be dead instantly. If they had slowly sawn the head off, or cut into the shell without decapitating the turtle then that would have been tortuous for the thing. The muskrat scene is exactly that - a slow, botched and painful death.

As for the Last Road To Hell footage, that's clearly pre-existing documentary footage that wasn't shot specifically for the sake of the production. That stuff has been uncut in the UK for a while now though hasn't it? (I've never seen a cut copy so can't be certain!)

I've said it before but I don't really see the point of these cruelty cuts these days - animal cruelty in films is largely a thing of the past now and is (rightly) unacceptable in modern films but cutting this stuff now isn't going to bring the original animal back is it?

Still, this whole debate is pretty interesting and I'm keen to see exactly what Deodato does when he re-edits the film.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com