View Single Post
Old 12th April 2011, 10:40 AM
Active Cultist

That is absolutely fantastic news regarding the BBFC's advice. I was deliberating on whether or not to buy this edition but I'll certainly be getting it now to see what Deodato does with his film and also to see the new HD transfer (I can live without the muskrat scene).

Unfortunately it puts me personally in a bit of a pickle as I've just written an analysis of the cuts imposed on the VIPCO edition for my undergrad dissertation!

Although, as a result of delving into the BBFC's inner workings for my research I thought perhaps I could answer a few things and raise one question.

Firstly, the turtle is killed instantly so I think that explains why it is considered to be "more humane" than the muskrat which obviously suffers a great deal. But I do question the heavy-handedness deployed by the actors when hauling the turtle from the water. I don't know how much a turtle 'feels' but the way they drag it out of the water could be interpreted as "cruel".

Also, with regard to The Last Road To Hell. It's in the VIPCO edition in its entirety and I believe the reason for this is that it wasn't filmed specifically for the purpose of the film. Indeed, if it were it would make Cannibal Holocaust a genuine "snuff" film and we probably wouldn't be sitting here getting all excited about its impending HD release!

The one question I do have is, assuming all the animal 'cruelty' gets passed uncut (with the exception of the muskrat), where does this place the BBFC with regards to The Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937? The act is designed to:
Quote:
Prohibit the exhibition or distribution of cinematograph films in connection with the production of which suffering may have been caused to animals [and states that]… No person shall exhibit to the public, or supply to any person for public exhibition (whether by him or by another person), any cinematograph film (whether produced in Great Britain or elsewhere) if in connection with the production of the film any scene represented in the film was organised or directed in such a way as to involve the cruel infliction of pain or terror on any animal or the cruel goading of any animal to fury.
The BBFC are required by law to follow this act, and so it would appear that they are now to be reinterpreting that law and this decision (assuming all goes through as planned) will certainly set a new precedent with regards to animal death in film. Obviously, the film has not changed, the animals are still killed in the same way that they were ten years ago when VIPCO released their butchered edition. The key terms in that outline of the act are "suffering" and "cruel infliction of pain or terror". Whilst the turtle and the monkey die immediately through decapitation would one not still consider such form of death "cruel"? Also, let us not forget that the pig is kicked (cruel?) and then shot in the stomach. It appears to die immediately but (I don't have the scene to hand so this is from memory) I think the cut away is pretty quick, can we be sure that the animal did not suffer as a result of the bullet wound?

Having said all of that, I am certainly very glad that the BBFC have thoroughly revised their opinions on Cannibal Holocaust since the last time they reviewed the film. Whilst I'm not an advocate of animal cruelty it is slightly disappointing that we still, as adults, are not "permitted" to see the full version of the film in this country, but I think the fact that Shameless are to be releasing the film in HD and also with the added bonus of a new Deodato cut makes up for all of that! If I've interpreted the first post correctly it seems to me that Deodato will be removing more of the animal cruelty than is BBFC necessary. I wonder how he will alter the musical score in order to maintain continuity.

EDIT: I've just watched the muskrat scene (uncut EC and cut VIPCO). I've never actually paid close attention to it before but the little creature most definitely suffers the most out of all the animals in terms of pre-death experience. It's completely removed from the VIPCO edition but thankfully there's no continuity issues because the death takes place in one cut without any soundtrack. So assuming it is cut the same way as VIPCO did it all should be fine

Last edited by robertzombie; 12th April 2011 at 11:08 AM.