View Single Post
Old 15th April 2011, 09:29 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

At least with Deodato supervising his edit, it will be done professionally, unlike some of the hatchet jobs done by the BBFC during Ferman's reign of terror.

Look, we have to accept that censorship does still exist in the UK, albeit less stringent than it used to be. Killing animals on-camera for the purposes of making a film was never going to go down very well, and not just in the UK. Shameless/Cine-Excess have done the best that's available to them - by getting Deodato to professionally supervise the editing himself. I think that's a smart move and I'm certainly interested in seeing that - if it had been just another BBFC edit, I probably wouldn't have bothered with this release at all.

Saying all that, you all know my stance on the film, that it should be seen uncut. But, let's face it, that's never going to happen here in the UK in the foreseeable future.

But, I think it's a good thing for Shameless to put this out, edited or not. Over the years I've met (online) many people whose first introduction to the dark fringes of horror was via cut Vipco VHS tapes and, later, cut DVDs. But even in their edited form, they had an impact and caused the viewers to dig further and deeper. That's no bad thing in my book.

Last edited by Daemonia; 15th April 2011 at 09:51 AM.