View Single Post
Old 19th April 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzombie View Post
Here's an interesting article on the BBFC's research into sexual violence. The House On The Edge Of The Park was one of the films looked into, see page 93 onwards

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/download/polic...y%20Cinema.pdf
Well, that was a bunch of psychobabble. Are the BBFC film classifiers or psychiatrists/psychologists? The raison d'etre of House on the Edge of the Park is to shock. It's meant to be outrageous and, as such, defies all logic. The ending is illogical, but it's an illogical film. Sometimes it's not good to over-analyse. It is what it is, a document of its time and not the sort of film that would be made today (unless Deodato's sequel follows the same formula, of course).

The BBFC have never liked films that don't play it safe. If it's confrontational or shocking, the BBFC will undoubtedly have an issue with it. But again, I ask, who will this harm? Seriously, no-one, I mean no-one can or is willing to answer this pertinent question. The BBFC look at issues of harm, but their reasoning as to whom it would harm is always cloaked in mystery and they never give a straight answer. They say it may harm certain males, but who and where are they? And isn't this like 'thought crime' - anticipating criminal behaviour rather than supplying solid proof that a film like this harmed anyone, anywhere? If it's such a dangerous film, then why can't they supply examples of copycat behaviour from territories where the film has been available uncut for decades? Are we to deduce that it's only British males who will be affected? If so, what makes us so different to other countries?

So many questions, but never any answers.