View Single Post
Old 24th April 2011, 06:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i don't understand how people on here can class Hardware as a horror film, it's a sci-fi movie, it's set in a post-apocalyptic world with a killer robot, it's exactly like the Terminator but that's not classed as horror. It baffles me.
Hope you don't mind me moving your post to the 1990 thread, ped but I'm trying to keep that other thread for complete lists only.

While I understand your points, for me Hardware is definitely more horror-themed than Terminator. For one, the Terminator franchise is mainly built around action with big budget explosions and action set-pieces making up the majority of the story, whilst Hardware concentrates solely on the malevolent killing instinct of the machine (3/4 of the film is the machine on the loose hunting and killing in an apartment). Also the fact that the machine in question is a completely non-emotional killing machine (there are no dialogue exchanges or human elements to it whatsoever unlike the Terminator films), may also infer a horror vibe.

I see Hardware in the same light as I do a monster movie; just that the monster is made of metal.

The Terminator films I see more as action movies, as there are more to them than actual cold-blooded killing.