View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 10:24 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

PINK ANGELS

After digging the whole gay biker thing in Kenneth Anger's work, I dug this out of the to watch pile and gave it a go. Blimey! What a strange film, equal parts post "Easy Rider" state of the Nation travelogue, camp comedy and stick it to the man early American indie/alternative cinema. To be honest, it's a hit and miss affair with some parts working really well whilst others fall flat. The plot concerns 6 gay men travelling to LA to go to a drag ball. For some reason that is only eluded to, they are travelling on motorbikes disguised as Hells Angels. The expected run ins with the police, real bikers and fazed looks from towns folk are all present and correct. What's quite bizarre is the lack of gay sex or even shows of physical affection amongst the led characters who are in fact 3 couples, whilst a biker gang bang involves limited shots of female flesh and much dry humping. I guess America wasn't ready. The ending is stunning and although I guessed how the film was going to end, it's execution took me completely by surprise. Worth a look if you are at all interested in American counter culture from the 60s and 70s.