View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 08:26 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
1990 - found guilty of trading in obscene publications, namely videotapes.

It was a very different time. I was on trial - and pleaded guilty. But then my films were on trial under Section 3, and I either got them back or they got forfeited. Being a student I got legal aid, so I defended them all the way to Crown Court. Funniest memory was watching The Worm Eaters with the judge scratching his head - the police had selected that tape as "particularly obscene". I'm sure they meant the movie on the end which I think was an Italian mondo which never got watched.

I cannot believe CH - which gave me a lot of grief at the time - is now going to be so widely available virtually uncut. Amazing!
You know, I've told my friends that I would happily go to court and defend horror films if the powers that be tried to ban modern movies, like Mark Kermode predicts will probably happen again one day. I'd easily win, I have the ultimate weapon... Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship and Videotape !

When I saw the Cult Labs post on Facebook, I thought it was passed uncut, but considering the audio will be intact but the sequence will be replaced by alternative footage, it reminds me of the pre-release version of Caligula.

It's a great move forward in terms of film classification, but we have a long way to go yet. Still, I'll probably buy this!