View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I find that pretty strange, especially with the generous special features on the BD, and the dvd being basically barebones. I would think most fans who are still dvd only, would buy a special edition dvd.
My thoughts exactly- and another no-buy from me, unfortunately, as I'd originally planned otherwise after reading the SE specs.

I for one own many varying DVD versions of flicks I like. In most instances I double dipped for varying/superior/new extras and/or better pq.

As far as upgrading to Blu is concerned:
Since the technical jump from DVD to Blu isn't even nearly as overpowering and huge as it was when it was time to skip vhs for DVD, I'd very much like to choose the time of upgrade myself and not be pressed into Blu by the artificial shortage of attractive releases on DVD!

I really couldn't bother any less when the major studios (namely Warner) are currently putting out their "extended" etc SE cuts of mainstream fare like "Sucker Punch" on Blu only whereas the DVD crowd is treated to inferior product, as I wouldn't have bought the majority of those titles anyway in any shape, BUT it leaves a sour taste when even the dedicated cult companies follow suit in this regard.
We DVD collectors are part of the faithful genre fanbase which keeps companies like Arrow, Shameless, Code Red, Synapse, Blue Underground, Another World Entertainment etc ticking, so I see no real convincing reason to ignore and write us off just yet!

This makes the anticipation of future attractive SEs slightly less enjoyable- as the "format release question" will be on the minds of many fans who'd otherwise have gotten all positively excited about a new quality release of a chersihed cult classic.

So if "Blu Only" is the way to go for the months to come, I'll get all cosily "retro" and start dedicating my collector's attention to hunting down the "good ol' DVD stuff" in second hand shops "Pre Cert"-treasure-style.