View Single Post
Old 28th February 2008, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Okay, let's see: 8 years ago when I was just returning to Southern Finland from my interview at my soon-to-be filmschool far up north, I managed to catch the WRONG train to Helsinki central station when it was time to switch trains.
I finally got there rather late to catch the last local train to the place where I stayed and worked in that summer.
2 girls had explained me where my train was due to leave - in fairly broken Englsih.
Back then, my Finnish skills were basically zero, the train was old and the announcements went under in all the surrounding noise.
When I didn't get the name of the next station and the strange guy sitting next to me mumbled a name which sounded pretty similar to the name of the station where I was supposed to get off I was suddenly in a hurry, because the train was about to leave said station.
Stupid lunatic that I was back then, I JUMPED out of the train, which had already started to roll.
Everything looked alright...except for that it WASN'T the station where I was supposed to leave off, I had forgotten my luggage INSIDE the train AND I had just left the very last passing train for the day!!!!!
Realising my mistake and seeing the train's lights vanishing in the dark I knew I had to spent the whole night on a station in the middle of nowhere...and though SOMEBODY must have gotten into the station's building while I was semi-asleep, nobody responded when I knocked against the door
I had no choice but to wait for the very first train to take me out of there back to Helsinki to get on the right route.
In the early hours of the next morning, it finally arrived.
Luckily I found somebody from the staff, who explained me that I would have to switch trains yet again to get to the central station....which I did...but history was about to repeat itself, because I caught- you guessed it! - the wrong train, had to get off yet again and after hours, I was actually sitting in a train, which took me directly to Helsinki, from which only made ONE further ill judged choice of train...now surely due to total exhaustion.
My last mistake took yet another couple of hours, but I finally, finally got on the right train when I returned to Helsinki central station for the 3rd. time in 24 hours.
My last energy resources went into my ears , so that I would catch the RIGHT name of the station to get out....and this time I suceeded!

Half a day's sleep later I dared to take a train to Helsinki to fetch my luggage, which had been luckily recovered. This time, everythuing went just fine.

Last edited by Peter Neal; 28th February 2008 at 02:06 PM.