View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:54 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan View Post
I don't know why nearly 12 minutes of the film was cut but I think the only scene that might have a struggle with the censors could be the girl getting mutilated by David Hess?
It is indeed exactly that scene which the BBFC didn't like at all. Nearly 5 minutes of all the cuts are from the Cindy scene. They justify all the cuts of House on the Edge of the Park with "sexual violence, humiliating depictions of female nudity and gross violence".

Just a few thoughts:

- "gross violence": One of the scenes the BBFC complain about is the part where Alex beats Tom's head onto the table. Well, I've seen Irreversible and Deep Red: both movies include painful cephalic violence and both were classified 18 and were uncut. Class dismissed.

- "sexual violence": the BBFC's pet category for justifying cuts. Again, since the uncut release of Irreversible and since all the rape scenes in Cannibal Holocaust were given the censors' blessing, there's no real reason for cutting House on the Edge of the Park. They could come up with strange explanations like Hess' character showing a lot of fun during the killing / torture scenes, though. But I distinctly remember both the cannibals and the anal rapist in the aforementioned flicks looking quite happy while doing their deeds.

- "humiliating depictions of female nudity": They passed The Last House on the Left uncut, including the infamous humiliation scene ("I said PISS your PANTS!"); I think, HOTEOTP isn't more disturbing when Hess forces the young lady to undress. Period.

That said, I really doubt that any of the BBFC's censors will think so much about that flick, let alone compare it to previous decisions.

Well, hoping for the best and being prepared for the worst seems to be a good strategy when it comes to the BBFC's decisions.

Just my two cents.

Greetings!