View Single Post
Old 14th June 2011, 08:03 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I read some other work and it is extremely hard going. When I decided to write my dissertation on The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby And The Omen, I didn't think I'd be eye deep in feminist theory!
There's a reason why I decided to focus my PhD on industry concerns and that reason is feminist film theory. Read enough of that and you start seeing phallic symbols everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I digress: a film *can* hold a misogynistic worldview and it can also sexualise images that are inherently misogynistic: a naked woman tied to a bed with her nipple sliced in half for instance. The New York Ripper does both of these - which is why it has the reputation it has.

However, whether it is down to bad looping and some dubious acting I do not know - the film is also really funny and it feels like some kind of send-up with Fulci and the cast being "in on the joke". Sort of like Pieces in a sense - only with much more technical/ production values. The same cannot be said for more sterile and studied misogyny of something like the Halloween remake - which, if memory serves, had no BBFC problems at all. I do think Shameless got a bum deal from the BBFC.
I completely agree with all those points, Calum!