View Single Post
Old 17th June 2011, 01:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlsAreNotWhatTheySeem View Post
Again, i don't recognise that definition. Anything that expresses a negative view towards women in general might be considered misogynist. Someone who for example thinks women are inferior to men is obviously misogynist, whether or not they hate women. Maybe there is another thread about 'virgin witch'? (but it is one film unusual in that it actually seems to actively normalise sexual harassment - ie the incredibly random scene where a passer-by pinches a girl's backside and she giggles!)
How can you not recognise that definition when it is the actual dictionary definition of the word? Misogyny = hatred of women. Look it up, that's what it says. Someone who thinks women are inferior is a sexist. That's something very different to a misogynist. A misgoynist hates women in totality. Hatred is different to treating someone as inferior. Like I said, that's sexual inequality, a far cry from actually hating women. It might not fit in neatly with your view, but that doesn't change what misogyny actually is.

Virgin Witch is decidely sexist in its portrayal of women, but I wouldn't call it misogynistic. Again, I beg to differ on the notion that sexual inequality equals misogyny.

Quote:
I completely agree about rom-coms and often say the same thing. But doesn't that contradict your previous point?! Hollywood romcoms are 'just fiction', and considered 'just entertaiment', but they in particular do have a significant impact on our culture and how we live. Obscure 80s European horror films far less so. But films do mean things whether it's Tarkovsky or a Fulci quickie or a godawful Hugh Grant creepfest!

Anyway, all this discussion has certainly motivated me to watch NYR! Though I think I might rent it rather than buying a copy
I don't think it contradicts my previous post, as Hollywood films are far more populist than obscure European horror films. I don't think they have any great impact on society. The difference is that rom-coms are supposed to be reflecting the real world we live in, they're not as fantastical as the horror genre. If they are indeed a reflection of society's values, then that's what I find troubling. Only mildly troubling though, I don't lose sleep over any of this stuff.

Good debate, though. I'm enjoying our banter, even if we don't completely see eye-to-eye on some things (I think we probably would agree on most things, though).