View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:52 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Great post, Baseball Fury. It's a terrific analogy and I would seriously doubt if those who do a frame-by-frame analysis derive from any enjoyment from the experience.

When I watch a DVD or BD for review, I go by overall impression and, if any glaring error catches my eye, I make a note of it. Otherwise, if it looks good, I'll say so, just as I will if it looks bad without going into too much jargon about interlacing, DNR, edge enhancement or anything else that I would personally find boring to read. I tried to make writing a review pleasurable, not a chore, and would like to think they read that way.
A frame-by-frame analysis isn't always necessary to realise that something is amiss. The digital noise argument isn't really a huge deal to me as my tv is only a 37", but the brightening of these films is a huge issue for me (given that they are horror films afterall).

The absurd brightening in the initial release of The Beyond and now in this really destroy the atmosphere for me, and that's not something I need to be nit picky and take screenshots for. It's glaring to me and destroys mood. And let's face it, the scripts in these films aren't the greatest. They're all about atmosphere and visuals, and if a dodgy transfer is ruining the mood of the film for you, or destroying shadows then that's all there is to it. It's not being picky or anal.

And to those saying to just sit back and enjoy the film rather than taking note of the transfer, most of us here already own the films. You're buying the Arrow Blu Ray for the visual fidelity. If you aren't getting that then obviously you're going to feel cheated regardless of how good the film is, hence the negative reviews Arrow are increasingly receiving.

Last edited by Djangooo; 22nd June 2011 at 07:03 PM.