View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2011, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
After all, the movie itself is all that counts. But I guess "Kentai" would prefer a great PQ over a great film.
Well, then we should just have stuck with VHS

The reason why we upgrade from our DVD copies to Blu-Ray, is because of the PQ, the higher resolution and finedetails we can get over the DVD:s.

On DVD you could get away with an lackluster transfer because of the lower resolution, on Blu-Ray those flaws have nowhere to hide, which demands MUCH more from the transfer.

And when you look at a movie on a bigger screen or with a projector, faults in a transfer are impossible to ignore, no matter HOW great the movie is.

And that´s why I didn´t upgrade to the new "Maniac" BD from Blue-Underground, since the black levels went from black to light grey and the ugly colors and the heavy use of DNR screwed up that release compared to the old Anchor Bay THX DVD that had perfect blacks and colors. Plus, thanks to the use of DNR on that BD there was no fine details to gain over the DVD anyways.

People said "well, that´s how a 16mm blown up to 35mm looks", oh yeah?, check out Evil Dead and Dorm that Dripped Blood on BD too see what 16mm SHOULD look like without filtering.

I´m not in a hurry really, and if Arrows BD really looks as mediocre as the screenshots, then I´ll either get the french disc, or watch the DVD until another BD release of the movie.

There are other BD releases from Arrow that I have higher hopes for, like Funhouse and Maniac Cop. Since their Vamp BD looked awesome, it seems only the Italian movies get lackluster transfers

I don´t really blame Arrow anymore about the quality of the Italian movies, it´s the damn distributors in italy that deserves a slap in the faces, for giving Arrow such materials to work with.

And since Demons have taken so long to arrive from Arrow, because they are searching for better elements, I´m REALLY glad their taking their time on that one instead of using the materials they were handed. I can only imagine how horrible it must have looked

Enjoy the Midsummers Eve!

Cheers!