View Single Post
Old 8th July 2011, 10:54 AM
Blogs Moderator

OK, after much deliberation, Prisonerjohn is our overall winner and I'll be sending a PM with details about how to claim your prize shortly.

Simey, due to your dedication to duty, there's a copy of the latest box set, Season 8, waiting for you so drop me an email at the address I PMed you.

Again, thanks to everyone who took part, thanks for waiting patiently while I sorted things out and I hope everyone enjoyed taking part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonerjohn View Post
Probably like half of the fans that Prisoner has today, I wasn't even born when the show was first made or broadcast in the UK. I remember distinctly, my mum buying a collection of rather ropey home-recorded episodes of the show off the internet when I was about twelve. She had watched Prisoner when it was broadcast on STV around the 1990s. With the family gathered in the living room having our tea, she put on the first episode and I couldn't believe it. This Australian prison drama, which I had never heard of before, was the best thing I had ever seen. The dramatic sense of tension and excitement that the show has, together with its light-hearted humour and overall warmth somehow appealed to me. In particular, the scene of Franky nick-naming a certain warder 'Vinegar Tits'. I seem to recall searching the web for more information about the show and finding On The Inside, the official fan club website. I soon subscribed to their regular newsletter, which brought the brilliant news of the entire series being released on DVD in Australia. In 2008 (at least I think it was then), my mum gave me the first two volumes for my birthday, and whenever I watch any of the episodes from those two sets, I makes me think of the terrific woman who introduced me to such an iconic and truly enjoyable series. A series that I now proudly have every episode of in my bookshelf. In more recent years, I have taken great pleasure in contributing a few character biographies to On The Inside in my spare time. A couple of weeks back, I gave a talk at college about my fondness of the show and included a short clip. Some of the listeners got my meaning while others sat with confused looks on their faces in response to what I had shown them - a mere example of an extraordinary and highly addictive classic show that now 18-year-old me has come to love.

So, to all the folks of Wentworth (the good, the evil and Lizzie Birdsworth) - you're the absolute best!