View Single Post
Old 4th August 2011, 07:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I should really have given my two cents ages ago, so here goes:

knowing nothing about Obsession (apart from it was a homage to Vertigo) was quite good as I was able to watch the film with an almost open mind. The opening is very clever in establishing place, characters and relationships -- you almost know John Lithgow is up to no good from the get go as he's so wonderfully slimy! The daughter/wife transformation must have been a huge influence on Park Chan-wook when writing Oldboy except he took the relationship a few steps further than DePalma did!

It's strange how it develops without feeling particularly creepy or sleazy and the final scene with the repeated 360° movement is both extremely moving and technically brilliant.
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Oldboy when watching this.

Loved the music too; the Hermann score furthered the Hitchockian influence.

It's a great package from Arrow overall and I hope it sells well and they can put out more De Palma thrillers on Bluray (with Dressed to Kill out later in the year and the Criterion Blow Out already out I'd like them to do Body Double ideally) and I was very impressed with the quality of the booklet/film for a release that's really quite different to most of their stuff and which might not be seen as worth buying by the people who love Arrow mainly for the Italian horror/slasher stuff.