View Single Post
Old 9th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A great defence there Paul.

However the film the studio produced is the only version of TCM2 and unfortunately it is quite poor.

Hooper's film Death Trap is also dreadfull and that's all his own work.
Yeah, there's no denying that TCM 2 is not what it should have been and it is unfortunate that the studio version is all we are left with. I get the same feeling anytime I revisit 'Poltergeist 2' funnily enough. It's really not a great film by any stretch but I constantly think that if the makers had their heads screwed on and had used the mighty H.R Giger's design concepts for it, instead of having literally one scene that is the poor shadow of Giger's vision that is the "tequila worm" scene, it would have been a film still talked about a lot more.

Hehe, unfortunately, you'll find me defending Hoopers "DeathTrap" too, I actually am quite fond of his little nasty shocker. Granted, again, it's no TCM and it's not perfect but its also been very poorly treated on the home format over time. It wasn't until I got the nice DarkSky DVD release of this title (as Eaten Alive) that it started to truly look like the crazy little EC comic inspired indie that it is. Previous VHS releases make it look like someone left on a Red Darkroom bulb on for the entire duration.

I like Robert Englund in this and Neville Brand's insane performance is very memorable indeed to this day. It has way more in common with the original TCM (and not just because Marilyn Burns shows up), the concept of a crazy owner with a dark secret isn't too far removed from TCM when you think about it. It's definitely got that same sadistic southern streak that makes his classic TCM so indelible.