View Single Post
Old 12th August 2011, 05:17 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This isn't an exclusive list, but in the last few days I've seen:

Almost Human – My very first poliziotteschi, and a very good one at that. I plan to go through the extra features and put up a review.

The Deaths of Ian Stone – Although it didn't feel entirely original, the screenplay and direction were excellent and the SFX make-up was really convincing.

The Silent House – Shot in only one take, this Uruguayan horror film has remarkable atmosphere and some really well worked jumps, one of which will catch out most hard-core horror fans.

Zombie Holocaust – A blatant rip-off of Cannibal Holocaust with none of the power or atmosphere, but the laughable effects and ropey acting makes this an unintentionally funny watch.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adéle Blanc-Sec – Accurately described as 'Amélie meets Indiana Jones', this latest film by Luc Besson ventures into Jean-Pierre Jeunet territory and is better off for it.

Super 8 - J.J. Abrams doesn't disappoint with this perfectly set drama/sci-fi/horror film with echoes of Stand by Me, The Goonies, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and ET. It is extremely well written and directed the child actors are all excellent.

Black Swan – With the volume turned up high, Darren Aaronofsky's first outright horror film is a fantastic reworking of Swan Lake with amazing performances by Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey, Mila Kunis and Winona Ryder. Bava and Argento should be proud of this tribute to the visual style they developed in their gialli.