Thread: The Dead (2010)
View Single Post
Old 7th September 2011, 10:23 AM
Blogs Moderator

... Which leads me into the most important selling point for the movie in my purely subjective opinion.

The Dead is a post video game movie. Not a pale imitation of the interactive experience like the pop-tastic but ultimately empty and silly Resident Evil movies, I mean a film that appears to have been conceived by people whose formative Zombie experiences involved involved holding a Playstation Controller as much a VCR remote.

Recent years have seen a post-28 Days Later spate of athletic 'infected' style zombies. (Lets keep arguments about them not being zombies for another thread shall we. The eat us, they don't have functioning brains and they smell funky, they're zombies 'kay?)

But slow zombies create a different type of fear. A different way to think your way out of the trap you find yourself in. A 28 Days Later style movie twitches. It's fight or flight and fear is generated by the overwhelming rush of death that's hurtling towards you with it's rotted teeth exposed.

Stumbling, traditional zombies allow for strategic thinking. Do I have time to fill up my water can before the dead get within grabbing distance? I'll need all the water I can and they'll take a minute to get here.

This is what I mean about a post-gaming movie. When you play survival horror titles, you calculate how much ammo you have. Clearing rooms of the dead will leave you with no bullets for the boss. So you conserve your firepower and think instead of acting. These instincts are on display in The Dead.