View Single Post
Old 27th September 2011, 11:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY on Blu, rather than gush on how good this looks and sounds I thought I'd give you my take on it's meaning(I'll be brief) to me it tells the story of mankind's evolution and it's obsession with violence(the waterhole at the start is no different to the 'find' on the moon) Haywood Floyd is just the same monkey but more diplomatic and now the Russians are the other tribe(tho not clear, the bone/spacecraft is a nuclear missile platform aimed at are own humankind) and the mistrust and secrecy around the monolith is no different to the waterhole many tens of thousands of years ago. Hal represents machines doing what they do today, increasingly running virtually every moment we live the further evolved we become(members here can watch all the films they want via the internet, without any human interaction at all... But not without a computer they can't) "send me another zombie movie...Hal". And the infant/baby at the end is us, still after many millenniums and all our technology we're still embryonic insignificant beings until we put the weapons and greed behind us and grow up and become at one with the universe. Feel free to completely disagree.
The purpose of each monolith is to envolve the species.The first one caused ape to become man and the last, man to new entity, a cosmic child but all these doesn't matter because the movie is open to everything.Anyone can make their own assumptions.The real purpose of the film is not to find what happened but to think about our existence and the future of everything.Your take is great though