View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2011, 05:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Charley Says

Been re-watching my Charley Says dvd,as always these short films always makes me feel very nostalgic for the 70s,that i suspose is old age creeping up on me

A priceless record of British society in the 1960s and 70s, Charley Says is two-and-a-half hours of public information films produced by London's Central Office of Information between 1959 and 1983. Topics, though numerous, are dominated by an obsession with safely crossing the road. Mid-1970s celebs such as Shaw Taylor and Jimmy Saville try to coerce us into wearing then-optional seat belts or propound the still-incomprehensible "Splink" theory of road awareness. Dave Prowse looks uneasy as the Green Cross Code superhero months before he found immortality as Darth Vader and Edward Judd briefly achieves cult status with "ThinkBike". Animation is also well represented, with the engaging psycho-babble of Charley the cat and the witty repartee of Jo and Petunia to guide us through the dangers of everyday living, while Tufty and Mrs Fluffytale look concerned as Willie the Weasel gets hit by every car in town. "Lonely Water", however, is a real spine-chiller, and the TV licence-detector man assumes a menace worthy of Quatermass. By the early 1980s, recourse to passing fads such as Space Invaders and break-dancing confirm that the era of paternalistic TV was almost over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charley Says (19).jpg (19.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charley Says (21).jpg (20.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charley Says (15).jpg (20.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charley Says (8).jpg (19.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Charley Says (4).jpg (22.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Charley Says (14).jpg (21.1 KB, 2 views)