View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:02 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
That said, i actually enjoy '57's Night Of The Demon and The Evil Dead and truly do approve of the less-is-more element in these two horror classics.
I find that part of your message a bit baffling. As someone who dislikes graphic gore, I wouldn't describe The Evil Dead as "less is more" - I hated it because it seemed to be nothing but excessive gore and violence. Admittedly there was a "comic book" quality to it because of the tiny budget, but that didn't make it any more watchable for me. To enjoy a horror/ghost film I need to empathise with the characters a little bit, and there was no character development there.

Graphic violence can certainly get an audience reaction and will engage some people, but I'm disappointed that lots of directors seem to think they're scaring someone when they're just staging violence. As an old example, I thought the original Nightmare on Elm Street was nowhere near as scary as it could have been because it showed too much, and the violence in some cases (e.g. Johnny Depp's demise) destroyed any atmosphere of dread.

Last edited by TyneBridges; 23rd October 2011 at 11:17 AM.