Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/13343-10-great-overlooked-british-horror-films-1970s.html)

mr 420 20th June 2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494754)
It is.

If you don't include Taxi Driver, Targets, The Green Berets, Death Dream, The Visitors, Coming Home, The Deer Hunter, Go Tell the Spartans, Apocalypse Now.... :tongue1:

Sorry, 420. Just messing with you. :happy:

Oh, its like that, is it? I take it today's the day for the Servalan outfit? :tongue1: :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494757)
Oh, its like that, is it? I take it today's the day for the Servalan outfit? :tongue1: :)

It would be but B_E borrowed it for the weekend (a month ago) and hasn't returned it yet. So you can tell i'm still moody about it.

mr 420 20th June 2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494758)
It would be but B_E borrowed it for the weekend (a month ago) and hasn't returned it yet. So you can tell i'm still moody about it.

The swine!! I hope he's getting the feather boa dry cleaned. I remember you telling me that it was a nightmare trying to get the stains out of it. :nod: :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494760)
The swine!! I hope he's getting the feather boa dry cleaned. I remember you telling me that it was a nightmare trying to get the stains out of it. :nod: :)

It was. I never let that Rondadoronron character use it again.

mr 420 20th June 2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494761)
It was. I never let that Rondadoronron character use it again.

I've heard on the grapevine that he now owns the original Robot Monster outfit and loves it that much he wears it to bed! :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 02:41 PM

As this thread is about overlooked British horror films, have you guys any suggestions for films other members may have overlooked?

mr 420 20th June 2016 03:06 PM

Typical Dem, always derailing threads. :) Is Who Slew Auntie Roo available today? I quite enjoyed that back in the day. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494764)
As this thread is about overlooked British horror films, have you guys any suggestions for films other members may have overlooked?

Since you asked... ;)

Here is a list of my fave British horrors which I think I've posted on here before at some point (probably in the Top Ten Tuesday thread).

Many of them are pretty well known, however there are bound to be folk (even on our cult-y film obsessed forum) who haven't seen some of the more well-known ones. There are plenty of slightly more overlooked gems on there too though. :nod:

mr 420 20th June 2016 03:31 PM

The Nightcomers from 1971 with Marlon Brando is another. Alas, I've never gotten round to watching it. :hide:

mr 420 20th June 2016 03:37 PM

I've just realised that Who Slew..... And The Nightcomers could easily slot into the Evil Kids thread as well. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494768)
The Nightcomers from 1971 with Marlon Brando is another. Alas, I've never gotten round to watching it. :hide:

You should get The Nightcomers. It's probably not very good but i really like it. It must be a Beacham / bondage thing. :eyebrows:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494746)
Noooooo! He should be charged with crimes against cinema! :nod: :jedi:

Perhaps that's what he's worried about should Big Zapper and The Swordsman get released. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 494767)
Since you asked... ;)

Here is a list of my fave British horrors which I think I've posted on here before at some point (probably in the Top Ten Tuesday thread).

Many of them are pretty well known, however there are bound to be folk (even on our cult-y film obsessed forum) who haven't seen some of the more well-known ones. There are plenty of slightly more overlooked gems on there too though. :nod:

:lol: The dreaded list.

Actually it's a damned fine list.

Perhaps films like The Two Faces of Dr. Jeckyll, Paranoic, and Cat Girl could be worth recommending to those who don't know them and fancy a blind buy.

Eye of the Devil, Deviation and The Psychopath are three i haven't seen. Are they good (Probably seeing as it's a top films list) and are they available?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494774)
:lol: The dreaded list.

Actually it's a damned fine list.

Perhaps films like The Two Faces of Dr. Jeckyll, Paranoic, and Cat Girl could be worth recommending to those who don't know them and fancy a blind buy.

Definitely and I think all can be picked up pretty cheaply. Paranoiac in particular is a favourite of mine.

Eye of the Devil, Deviation and The Psychopath are three i haven't seen. Are they good (Probably seeing as it's a top films list) and are they available?

I have a feeling you'd enjoy all three - especially Eye of the Devil, which has been released on DVD by Warner via their 'Warner Archive' imprint.

Unfortunately I don't think Deviation will see a release anytime soon. I spoke to someone from Mondo Macabro about it not too long ago and who mentioned that the rights are a bit of a mess, as I guess a lot of these under-seen gems are sadly.

Psychopath has also yet to see a DVD release anywhere as far as I am aware. It's currently owned by Paramount though so that is no real surprise.

platostotal 20th June 2016 06:25 PM

Seagull Island was actually shown on LWT back in the early 80s, not only that but it was shown in it's original mini series format in about 4-5 parts I believe, tho Italian in origin it's clearly very...'British', I think it was shown on Sunday afternoons as well, I remember it had a nice creepy vibe to it but as a long mini series it was way too padded out for a Brit Giallo.

(I recall I was pissed off that I was out and missed an episode in the middle.)

mr 420 20th June 2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 494794)
Seagull Island was actually shown on LWT back in the early 80s, not only that but it was shown in it's original mini series format in about 4-5 parts I believe, tho Italian in origin it's clearly very...'British', I think it was shown on Sunday afternoons as well, I remember it had a nice creepy vibe to it but as a long mini series it was way too padded out for a Brit Giallo.

(I recall I was pissed off that I was out and missed an episode in the middle.)

The Secret Of Seagull Island was released on the Precision label back in the early '80s.

Vampix 21st June 2016 04:56 PM

It would be great to see a company like Odeon or Network release The Mutations to either DVD or Blu-ray. :nod:

Demoncrat 22nd June 2016 01:18 PM

Fright
Deadly Strangers
Love Potion
aka Shock Treatment

are the three that spring to mind. I know is Fright is on dvd, but as tis about overlooked films.....;)

Demoncrat 22nd June 2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 494859)
It would be great to see a company like Odeon or Network release The Mutations to either DVD or Blu-ray. :nod:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freakmaker-...=the+mutations

Won't this do til then??

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494909)

I can vouch for that Desert Island Classics grey market release. It's a direct port/theft of the original special edition

nosferatu42 22nd June 2016 01:39 PM

I've got that too, it's not a bad copy, but still it's a decent British film featuring some interesting stars and is good fun.:nod:
Definitely deserves a much better Arrow style release.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 494914)
I've got that too, it's not a bad copy, but still it's a decent British film featuring some interesting stars and is good fun.:nod:
Definitely deserves a much better Arrow style release.:pop2:

Agreed definitely, but as it doesn't have one or have anything impending, people can purchase the Desert Island version and know they aren't getting a terrible print.

Vampix 22nd June 2016 02:44 PM

Thanks guys. It may have to be that Desert Island release for the time being, but a release from someone like the companies I mentioned would be most welcome. It's a great fun film, in my opinion, featuring Donald Pleasence, Tom Baker (under some pretty hideous make-up), a venus fly trap monster and a cast of real life freaks! :)

mr 420 22nd June 2016 03:24 PM

The wonderful Ghost Story from 1974 should be better known. It's a available in a fantastic special edition from Nucleus.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxNYcSeyPE