Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/13343-10-great-overlooked-british-horror-films-1970s.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 04:31 PM

10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s

An interesting article from the BFI here.

I must track down Full Circle at some point - the only one I've yet to check out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 04:42 PM

Full Circle is the only one i don't own.

I must pick up Symptoms at some point.

nosferatu42 19th June 2016 04:55 PM

There's a couple of versions of Full circle (haunting of Julia) on Youtube at present, i don't even think there's a decent dvd release available.
I watched it a while back.
It's based upon a Peter Straub novel.
I read that as a kid and it always stuck in my head so had to try and see the film.:pop2:

mr 420 19th June 2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 494647)
There's a couple of versions of Full circle (haunting of Julia) on Youtube at present, i don't even think there's a decent dvd release available.
I read that as a kid and it always stuck in my head so had to try and see the film.:pop2:

The Haunting Of Julia had a pre-cert video release in the UK many, many moons ago.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 494647)

Cheers Nos - I know what I'll be watching tomorrow night now. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494656)
The Haunting Of Julia had a pre-cert video release in the UK many, many moons ago.

Doesn't sound promising for a dvd release does it?

Being a big fan of British films of the era it really pisses me off that there are so many gems still not out. The odd one creeps out like Craze on Nucleus or Baby Love on Network but that's about it each year, two or three if we are lucky. We might be getting four this year with the BFI releases of Symptoms and Psychomania.

Why can't 88 do a British range of films? I'm sure they'd sell better than Ironmaster.

Inspector Abberline 19th June 2016 07:01 PM

The Shuttered Room

This use to be shown on telly allot,and I know it has a region 1 release,but a UK release would be good,its no classic but i remember liking at the time.
I know it 1967 but thats close ,;)

Quote:

The Shuttered Room is a 1967 British horror film directed by David Greene and starring Gig Young and Carol Lynley as a couple who move into a house with dark secrets. It is based on a short story of the same name by August Derleth and H. P. Lovecraft. The film has also been re-released under the title Blood Island. Although set in the US, the film was shot in Kent and Norfolk, England.The film features a large, half-brick, half-timber watermill, which is destroyed by fire in the closing scenes. The building used was Hardingham Mill on the River Yare in Norfolk.

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 08:56 PM

I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

nosferatu42 19th June 2016 09:29 PM

Someone should release a proper U.K version of Mutations.
Also Dream Demon.
And Arrow should pull their finger out and do a Michael Reeves box.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494668)
I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

The article was only about 70's films, Frankie. It's headline is -

10 great overlooked British horror films of the 1970s

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

But yes, these films need a release, especially in the UK, their country of origin.

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494671)
The article was only about 70's films, Frankie. It's headline is -

10 great overlooked British horror films of the 1970s

I was waiting for you to point that out, Dem. Glad you didn't disappoint me!

Make Them Die Slowly 19th June 2016 10:10 PM

Why isn't Trog on the list....

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494674)
I was waiting for you to point that out, Dem. Glad you didn't disappoint me!

What you really mean is 'Thank **** at least one person reads my posts'. :tongue1:

platostotal 19th June 2016 10:18 PM

Now I'm pretty sure that most if not all on that list would be considered a 'flop' as far as box office at the time (no home video deals or rental tape dosh back then) so I wonder if they were written off as a dead loss for tax, it does seem odd that even the most dire tosh from all over the world makes it onto dvd/BD but we Brits are bereft of quite a bit of 70s U.K. cult cinema, or maybe the rights holders just want silly money (like the Italians back in the 80/90s*)

*Back in the day I remember reading that an Italian distributor wanted over £150k for U.K. rights to a 70s 'nasty' Nazi flick that was on the DPP list.:pound:

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494676)
What you really mean is 'Thank **** at least one person reads my posts'. :tongue1:

Better than no-one at all, Dem...

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494678)
Better than no-one at all, Dem...

That's debatable. :lol:

Got to be honest, i think your reviews are absolutely required reading. :nod: :cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 11:19 PM

There are so many British films from the 70's in the genre we so love that have been neglected on dvd, never mind blu-ray.

The Corpse
Fragment of Fear*
Tam Lin*
Trog*
Endless Night
The Night Digger*
What Became of Jack and Jill
Seagull Island
Dominique
Absolution
Voices
The Brute

That's just a few off the top of my head.

*These are available as on demand dvd-r's from various reputable studios but haven't had legitimate dvd releases.

Vampix 20th June 2016 02:11 AM

I remember watching Fragment of Fear late one night on the BBC, years ago. It kind of reminded me a little of Blow Up with its plotline and the fact it starred David Hemmings in the lead role. Good film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Like Dem says, the article is only in reference to films from the '70s. I completely agree with you about The Appointment though it's long overdue a release.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494683)
There are so many British films from the 70's in the genre we so love that have been neglected on dvd, never mind blu-ray.

The Corpse
Fragment of Fear*
Tam Lin*
Trog*
Endless Night
The Night Digger*
What Became of Jack and Jill
Seagull Island
Dominique
Absolution
Voices
The Brute

That's just a few off the top of my head.

*These are available as on demand dvd-r's from various reputable studios but haven't had legitimate dvd releases.

Tam Lin actually has a US DVD (and Blu-ray ;)) release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 494690)
Tam Lin actually has a US DVD (and Blu-ray ;)) release.

Thanks. I didn't research before i typed. I do have it in my wish list but thought it was perhaps a dvd-r.

Demoncrat 20th June 2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 494645)
An interesting article from the BFI here.

I must track down Full Circle at some point - the only one I've yet to check out.

Overlooked by whom?? As The Haunting Of Julia is the only one not available (SADLY!!!! :computerfix:). The Shout being the Streets Of Fire of Brit horror notwithstanding hahaha. Still if it gets folk watching them......

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

It too is on YouTube ( and also had a UK video release on 3M?, that seems to ring a bell) and is well worth watching. Here's a taste, I think you'll all enjoy it. :nod: :pop2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNO49KF5p0

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:12 PM

Lindsay Shonteff's Night After Night After Night is another that definitely needs to be seen, but apparently Shonteff's son is a nightmare when it comes to acquiring the rights.

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494661)
Doesn't sound promising for a dvd release does it?

Being a big fan of British films of the era it really pisses me off that there are so many gems still not out. The odd one creeps out like Craze on Nucleus or Baby Love on Network but that's about it each year, two or three if we are lucky. We might be getting four this year with the BFI releases of Symptoms and Psychomania.

Why can't 88 do a British range of films? I'm sure they'd sell better than Ironmaster.

Hear! Hear! Somebody should shoot off an email asking what the chances would be on a British range. :nod:

Demoncrat 20th June 2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494729)
Lindsay Shonteff's Night After Night After Night is another that definitely needs to be seen, but apparently Shonteff's son is a nightmare when it comes to acquiring the rights.

Cough tell me about it. A sad state of affairs

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494732)
Cough tell me about it. A sad state of affairs

I would love to see How Sleep The Brave again. I remember that being a cracking little war film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494729)

I know someone who was in touch with the Shonteff estate and the son who's now the rights owner and he has absolutely no interest at all in making his fathers films available again. This wasn't just a quick email either it was a discussion that went on for weeks.

It's quite sad in a film history sense but i doubt we'll ever see any Lindsey Shonteff films on dvd aside from Devil Doll and Permissive.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494733)
I would love to see How Sleep The Brave again. I remember that being a cracking little war film.

I actually have that on dvd. It's quite obviously filmed in an English wood. :pound: I've also got Ice Cold in Phoenix.

It's a shame but they aren't the Shonteff films we are after.

Demoncrat 20th June 2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494738)
I actually have that on dvd. It's quite obviously filmed in an English wood. :pound: I've also got Ice Cold in Phoenix.

Isn't it just :pound:
Still though....

420 there is a 23rd Century dvdr of HSTB out there under the title Combat Zone btw!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494739)
Still though....

420 there is a 23rd Century dvdr of HSTB out there under the title Combat Zone btw!!

That's the one i have. :nod:

Demoncrat 20th June 2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494740)
That's the one i have. :nod:

If you know them, their "quality" leaves something to be desired cough:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Have run out of time, but wait until I relate the tale of Gordon, The Black Pirate!! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494708)
Overlooked by whom?? As The Haunting Of Julia is the only one not available (SADLY!!!! :computerfix:). The Shout being the Streets Of Fire of Brit horror notwithstanding hahaha. Still if it gets folk watching them......

Must admit i too thought that. There are some truly fine films on that list that i for one, and you and probably others on here certainly haven't overlooked.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494741)
If you know them, their "quality" leaves something to be desired cough:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Have run out of time, but wait until I relate the tale of Gordon, The Black Pirate!! :lol:

The film quality is in decent condition. The film itself...well that's not so good. :lol:

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494735)
I know someone who was in touch with the Shonteff estate and the son who's now the rights owner and he has absolutely no interest at all in making his fathers films available again. This wasn't just a quick email either it was a discussion that went on for weeks.

It's quite sad in a film history sense but i doubt we'll ever see any Lindsey Shonteff films on dvd aside from Devil Doll and Permissive.

Noooooo! He should be charged with crimes against cinema! :nod: :jedi:

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494738)

It's a shame but they aren't the Shonteff films we are after.

If I'm not mistaken, is it not well ahead of its time to be one of the very first films to deal about the American involvement in the Vietnam war?

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 494739)
Still though....

Nice one, I'm going to have to have a wee search for that. :nod: :thankingyou:

mr 420 20th June 2016 01:57 PM

I guess I'm going to have to delve into my videos to find my Zappers. It looks like the only way to see the films now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494748)
If I'm not mistaken, is it not well ahead of its time to be one of the very first films to deal about the American involvement in the Vietnam war?

It is.

If you don't include Taxi Driver, Targets, The Green Berets, Death Dream, The Visitors, Coming Home, The Deer Hunter, Go Tell the Spartans, Apocalypse Now.... :tongue1:

Sorry, 420. Just messing with you. :happy: