Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/470-trail-wicker-man-robin-hardy.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2010 11:45 PM

That's her head super-imposed on a body double from Glasgow.....

Presumably Rod didn't manage to buy up ALL the copies then.....? ;)

vincenzo 25th May 2010 11:47 PM

Mine comes in a gatefold sleeve (no puns please). :laugh:

scartissuefilms 26th May 2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 81472)
Where you going from mate?

It's a fair old trek down to that cave.....

I live in Manchester. Seems like a cool place to visit anyway. been meaning to have a mooch round Scotland for a while.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2010 09:12 PM

Ach,won't take long from Manchester mate.
If you're a fan of the film,then this area is A MUST visit.
Every location (except the cave and Stranraer Harbour) is within half an hour's driving distance.:nod:

Steamcarrot 28th May 2010 04:32 PM

I have to add my vote for The Wicker Man being not only the best British horror film but one of the best British films period. One of the outstanding aspects for me is that seems at odds with every other horror film every produced, it's true original with an ambience all of its own. Coupled with an ending that decries the so-called 'power of good' in such a strong and shocking way it's no wonder that film is still discussed with such verve 37 years later.

I too have spent a couple of holidays in the area tracking down the locations, thankfully not a hard task due to its status. The track to Ninian's Cave is an absolute must as the beach itself is otherworldly as the film itself. Anworth was another stunning location that is instantly recognisable. There is still a small round delve in the grass where the maypole was situated!

One of my bosses friends was a kid in the area at the time and was actually one of the kids dancing round the maypole. Alas I have never met him to quiz him about the filming.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th May 2010 08:27 PM

:welcome: To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!:cool:

Where else did you hit?

Steamcarrot 29th May 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 82458)
:welcome: To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!:cool:

Where else did you hit?

We also took in the Ellangowan for a pint and had a decent walk round Kirkcudbright. Also the libarary in Whithorn (Willow's bedroom eluded me alas), the exterior of what was The Green Man in Gatehouse Of Fleet, Stranraer harbour and of course Burrow Head to to see the stumps of the stumps! With my visits being during winter certain areas like Port Logan and Castle Kennedy were closed to the public but that at least gives a good reason to go back!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th May 2010 03:09 PM

Been to all those areas you mention.
Lovely part of Scotland,and easily accessible from one main road.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2010 08:58 PM

Sir Christopher Lee's swansong.....:(

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...equel-1.932264

LineSix 9th July 2010 07:03 PM

Just been reading up on this recently, it's due for a September release apparently. Also, Christopher Lee won't be playing Summerisle apparently, he just seems to be credited as 'Old man' now. I know his role in the film has been drastically reduced but I at least hoped he would appear as Summerisle in the film and not some generically named 'filler' character, it would give it that extra bit of a 'nostalgia' feeling if it was the same character from the original film.

I currently have mixed feelings about this, it could turn out to be an enjoyable and impressive addition to sit alongside the original Wicker Man or it could turn out to be another awful attempt to cash-in on the original film and it will quickly be forgotten like the remake. Looks like we are just going to have to wait and see.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th July 2010 07:12 PM

Not got good vibes either.

Can't possibly be anywhere as cool as the original.

Roll on Optimum's Blu Ray release.:)

Let's hope they come up with different artwork for this and not go the lazy route and use the 'released-to-death' current artwork.

The Wicker Man is fast becoming Optimum's equivalent to Anchor Bay's The Evil Dead.:nod:

Daemonia 13th July 2010 12:34 PM

I'm quite positive about The Wicker Tree actually. It's obviously something that both Lee and Hardy are very passionate about and have spent years trying to bring it to fruition. I reckon this might be a pleasant surprise for all of us. I think the premise sounds intriguing, anyway. Obviously, I don't think it could possibly have the power and horror of the finale of the original, but you never know. I'm just glad to see that British horror is still with us, it's about time Britain led the way with horror again, as we did many years ago.

Make Them Die Slowly 13th July 2010 09:46 PM

THE WICKER MAN is on the cover of this months "Sight and Sound" as part of an feature that looks at "The Films of Old, Weird Britain" a selection of British films that invoke a magical, rural past or present day. There are related articles on recent art works/films that use pagan images and some of the stranger off shoots of the recent folk music scene.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th July 2010 12:38 AM

Need to get a copy of that.:nod:

I hope you're right Daemonia.:)

Here's an interesting little site.

Wicker Man Locations - Anwoth

LineSix 21st July 2010 10:38 AM

Bought the latest issue of Sight and Sound because of the 'Weird, old Britain' article, very good stuff. It's also got an interesting interview with and article about Dennis Hopper.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th August 2010 06:43 PM

Some interesting soundbites here,and some 'lost cine-footage' of Edward Woodward behind the scenes in Plockton.:cool:

Also,listen to Kermode's slaughtering of the remake! :lol:

Wicker Man Downloads

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th August 2010 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Btw....Mrs Reaps has just began painting this scene.......:woot:

BTW2 The Wicker Man Blu Ray (according to Amazon) that's being released in October by Optimum is the Cage travesty!:shocked::mmph::censored:

Let's hope it's the classic original,and this is a mistake.....:pray::pray::pray:

Make Them Die Slowly 14th August 2010 12:36 PM

Hello Reaps, don't know if your into folk music but I just purchased Rob Young's whopping great 664 paged book on the subject which from the blurb on the back cover includes:

"...the acid folk of Comus, Forest, Mr Fox, and Trees: The Wicker Man and occult folk lore..."

The books looks like a musical companion piece to the recent "Sight and Sound" article on Weird, Old Britain.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th August 2010 06:00 PM

Sounds interesting mate.
The soundtrack of The Wicker Man is one of the things that make it so original.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th August 2010 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 95661)
Btw....Mrs Reaps has just began painting this scene.......:woot:

BTW2 The Wicker Man Blu Ray (according to Amazon) that's being released in October by Optimum is the Cage travesty!:shocked::mmph::censored:

Let's hope it's the classic original,and this is a mistake.....:pray::pray::pray:

And for anyone who missed it in the other thread,here it is.
I'm pretty chuffed with it.:nod:

Make Them Die Slowly 5th September 2010 08:22 PM

There is a teaser trailer for "The Wicker Tree" doing the rounds, anyone else seen it? Not very impressive I'm afraid, kind of reminded me of that Welsh "The Wicker Man" rip off with that geezer from "East Enders" in it. Can't remember the name of either at present.:o

However if you want to see something freaky and related to the final parade from the "The Wicker Man" check out the short documentary "Oss Oss Wee Oss" from the 1950s. It' a record of the Padstow May celebrations. I've only seen short clips. It has a very sinister feel to it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2010 05:49 PM

YouTube - Official Teaser Trailer for The Wicker Tree (2010)

Not sure.I'll need to see more before I jump the gun.....

As I say,it's not gonna scale the heights of one of the most original horror films ever made,but for Hardy's sake,I hope it's decent....:nod:

Mahoney32 8th September 2010 06:10 PM

That trailer doesn't show us or tell us anything really. It lacks impact, wheres the tease?

If Christopher Lee was in the trailer, I would be little excited by this...

I watched this same trailer on a site last night, and was totally unmoved by it.
But theres a chance this could be a very good film. It's unfair to judge, just from this teaser.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2010 06:30 PM

No,it's not.That's why I'm reserving judgement until I see the film.;)
I'll be going to the cinema to catch this one.

Perhaps a longer trailer will emerge before long!

I'm thinking,well if Christopher Lee is in it,well it can't be bad,as the original Wicker Man was his favourite role....

Mahoney32 8th September 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 100894)
No,it's not.That's why I'm reserving judgement until I see the film.;)
I'll be going to the cinema to catch this one.

Perhaps a longer trailer will emerge before long!

I'm thinking,well if Christopher Lee is in it,well it can't be bad,as the original Wicker Man was his favourite role....

Is Christopher Lee in this one? I remember him showing an interest a sequel in the past, but...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2010 07:43 PM

I think he has a cameo role mate.....:nod:

Mahoney32 8th September 2010 08:09 PM

I wonder if that wig will make a return too?

bgart13 8th September 2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 100918)
I think he has a cameo role mate.....:nod:

As Lord Summerisle, supposedly.

Mahoney32 13th September 2010 07:07 AM

Sacrificing a Human being, just to get a few fresh apples, is a little extreme...
My advice is, to not visit any small remote islands, because you could end up being barbecued...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th September 2010 06:04 PM

Good advice indeed! :shocked:

Be interesting to see if the wig makes a return....perhaps the mustard rollneck sweater will to!

Mahoney32 13th September 2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 101717)

Be interesting to see if the wig makes a return....perhaps the mustard rollneck sweater will to!

Just a bit of fun, thats all. I really like the film to be honest...I'm sure HAMMER wished this was one of their movies. I'm curious about this follow up film now to. looking forward to it...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th September 2010 06:30 PM

Yeah,me too mate.Curiosity is getting the better of me......:nod:

Mahoney32 16th September 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 101717)

I think I saw that Mustard roll neck down my local Sally Army the other day, now that you mention it... It smelt like somebody had stood too close to a bonfire or something.
Could actually be the same one. I think that "WIG" was in the window display there too...
One mans trash is another mans treasure, as they say...
Though I have to admit, that I personally weren't tempted by the purchases...
They had a couple of old HE-MAN figures lying in a box that brought back a few memories though..

Mahoney32 30th September 2010 11:20 AM

So, anything new to post on THE WICKER TREE?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th September 2010 06:26 PM

Not heard owt mate.

You?
Anyone?:)

Mahoney32 30th September 2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 105720)
Not heard owt mate.

You?
Anyone?:)

Sod all. Might have to continue commenting on that mustard roll-neck and wig again soon otherwise...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th September 2010 07:42 PM

Yeah!:happy:

When's this scheduled for release,or is it already out?

Been very low key innit?:(

Mahoney32 30th September 2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 105752)
Yeah!:happy:

When's this scheduled for release,or is it already out?

Been very low key innit?:(

I am interested to hear about these Aussie HALLOWEENS you've bought though, what kind of special features do they have then. I've got the UK Sanctuary edition of 2, and all the UK ANCHOR BAY editions of 1. I only have an old VHS of 3 at the moment. I do like part 3 a lot these days. It's a good little film, and it stars Tom Atkins. A cult favourite.
The Kim Newman and Stephen Jones commentary for HALLOWEEN 2 is a riot, Informative and very amusing in equal measures. I've listened to this a few times now, and it still entertains...

Anyway, that wig....

Mahoney32 30th September 2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 105760)
I am interested to hear about these Aussie HALLOWEENS you've bought though, what kind of special features do they have then. I've got the UK Sanctuary edition of 2, and all the UK ANCHOR BAY editions of 1. I only have an old VHS of 3 at the moment. I do like part 3 a lot these days. It's a good little film, and it stars Tom Atkins. A cult favourite.
The Kim Newman and Stephen Jones commentary for HALLOWEEN 2 is a riot, Informative and very amusing in equal measures. I've listened to this a few times now, and it still entertains...

Anyway, that wig....

I will look up a release date for this film in a moment. Whether or not this is a straight to dvd or not, I don't know. Still waiting for a trailer for John Carpenter's THE WARD! Not much info on that film either!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th September 2010 08:04 PM

Sweet F.A. regarding the aussie Halloween's....trailer maybe....

Yeah,please do that.It'd be a shame if Sir C Lee's swansong was DTV....:(