Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1977 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5235-your-favourite-horror-film-1977-a.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 07:50 PM

I completely forgot about Rabid -- it's such an unusual movie and I'm no idea how Cronenberg elicited such a great performance from Marilyn Chambers. Looking back, it's not on the same level as films like Videodrome, The Fly or, particularly, Dead Ringers, but it's unforgettable and a 'body horror' classic.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 03:21 PM

Yep, The Sentinel is a great film. :nod:

Not a fan of The Exorcist II, though. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141924)

Not a fan of The Exorcist II, though. ;)

I'm not surprised -- I've yet to meet someone who is!

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 04:27 PM

Despite me being a huge Argento fan, it's the original "The Hills Have Eyes" for me- again a title which comes with a healthy dose of 80's video nostalgia.:popcorn:

Now here's a curious anecdote you might have heard before:

For some strange reason the mutants got changed into ALIENS in the original German dub, which provides some unforgettably cheesy dialogues but strangly enough doesn't hurt the film's impact in the slightest.
That last shot of the film before the screen gets red is one of my all time fave finales in the whole genre!:rockon:

But I also like:

Hitch-Hike
The Last House on Dead End Street
Suspiria

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 141936)
Despite me being a huge Argento fan, it's the original "The Hills Have Eyes" for me- again a title which comes with a healthy dose of 80's video nostalgia.:popcorn:

Now here's a curious anecdote you might have heard before:

For some strange reason the mutants got changed into ALIENS in the original German dub, which provides some unforgettably cheesy dialogues but strangly enough doesn't hurt the film's impact in the slightest.

Excellent - THE HILLS HAVE ALIEN EYES

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141943)
Excellent - THE HILLS HAVE ALIEN EYES

With villains named "Pluto", "Mars" and "Papa Jupe" ("Jupiter" in the German version), it's not hard to guess how the German dialogue translator got a bit "creative" with his treatment of the source, though the deeper motivation for the changes remains a mystery...:p

It might be a bit heretic, but I like "Hills '77" best WITH its "70's alien dub" intact :rockon:, even though newer (post remake) German DVDs offer an alternate, faithful dub.:nod:

Those who own the ABUK SE of "Hills" can take a peak at the German trailer- "alien references" included.:loco::popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:29 PM

Well Michael Berryman is rather Alien looking mate!:happy:

EXORCIST II THE HERETIC isn't that bad!

Jani 14th April 2011 06:47 PM

My favourite from this year is...Rituals.Extremely creepy survival horror that puts Deliverance to shame.Runner-ups are Suspiria,The Sentinel & The Hills Have Eyes.Waiting for my copy of Code Red's DVD of Rituals,should be mine any day now.So far all VHS and DVD copies have been crap,but that's gonna change,me hopes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 06:50 PM

Rituals was one of the many DVDs (and BDs) that have been delivered this week and is in the queue to be part of my evening's viewing. I've read nothing but good things so it's something I'm really looking forward to.

rebo11 1st June 2011 08:27 PM

Susperia

Gotta go with "Susperia". Few films resonate throughout the genre the way Argento's masterpiece does. The opening sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

"Susperia" is one of those films that works by engaging the senses on so many levels. The sumptuous colors, the eerie music, the dizzying unreality of the world it creates make it one of the most influential films of the genre regardless of year or decade.