Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1976 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5236-your-favourite-horror-film-1976-a.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th April 2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 144732)
Don't let Stephen hear you say that! ;)

I'm sure he would say such a forum would be absolutely brilliant!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2011 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 144715)
Nothing in particular -- it's enjoyable trash, but it does have a slightly misogynistic subtext.

Don't know what you mean. ;)

Jani 22nd April 2011 10:34 AM

Who Can Kill a Child? is brilliant.But so is Alice, Sweet Alice,The House With Laughing Windows and Carrie too.It's still Romero's study of social entropy and human decay,Martin,that takes the bite out of '76.At least it was finished in '76,maybe released in '77 in Europe and '78 in the States.Anyway,it's important modern take on vampirism,that really isn't about vampirism per se,but the dehumanizing effects of dying industrial suburbs and family units.

rebo11 1st June 2011 08:06 PM

The Omen

Have to cast a vote for "The Omen". The "A" level production, excellent acting, religious underpinning, David Seltzer's great writing and Jerry Goldsmith's outstanding score all combine to create one of the all time greats.

Gregory Peck and Lee Remick lend the film a gravitas that really works. It was a real coup to get them for the picture. Special kudos also have to go to David Warner who is very, very good.

Jerry Goldsmith should have gotten a big bonus for a score that has to count as one of the best in general film history, not just horror film history. "The Omen", like "Susperia", is one of those rare movies where the music can scare the crap out you as much as the action on the screen.

Baseball Fury 2nd August 2011 04:53 PM

Having never seen (but really wanting to) Who Can Kill a Child? I can't discount it, but the only film of 1976 for me is Eraserhead. The Omen is great, although a little campy, and Carrie is a fine, fine piece of film, but The Lady In The Radiator takes the award.

Gojirosan 2nd August 2011 05:10 PM

Carrie is excellent, but I'd go for Who Can Kill A Child? too.

blu 11th August 2011 08:17 PM

Another vote for Carrie.

TyneBridges 15th September 2011 07:26 PM

I would also have to say CARRIE. The true horror of it was not the telekinesis or even the destruction of the gym, but the fact that Carrie's horrendous mother turned out to be right. (Does this mean that all Atheists like me are going to Hell, as the Fire and Brimstone preachers tell us?!)

Demoncrat 16th September 2011 11:53 AM

ooh tough one. so many classics, i definitely want this WCKAC now, but nostalgically its Carrie/Martin (tied)
Alice Sweet Alice very close second.

unruly teenagers!!

oh and the more i see it The Omen bores the arse off me :laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th February 2013 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another great Bri shocker this year was Walker's HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN/aka THE CONFESSIONAL.

Jesus,Walker sure knew how to stir up a hornet's nest eh?

Hopefully this and Frightmare are next on Redemption's Blu Radar.

From Prime Minister to murdering priest,Anthony Sharp was deliciously demented and as otfen was the case,suitably aided by the great Sheila Keith!

Some people cite this as 1975,some 1976.
So as I was only three or four at the time,I'll stick it in '76.