Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1974 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5238-your-favourite-horror-film-1974-a.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 141791)

Fans of this NEED to get the BD of this from Blue Underground....:eek:

My copy is on its way and two BU BDs arrived this morning: Vampyres and The Toolbox Murders.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:54 PM

Stunning is the only word to describe it.

I thought I was sitting in the Lake District!

Another fave from this year is Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE.
A genius of low budgets,Cohen really knew how to make them stretch.

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 04:10 PM

Not the most original choice, but I'll also vote for "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre", which I caught for the first time in its "chopped by around 10 mins" banned German video incarnation in '91.:nod:
Back in the day, a lot of genre films lost healthy chunks of their "slow", dialogue-heavy parts on their German theatrical and vhs release.:eyebrows:
Some of those "shorter" versions work imho better- "Absurd" and "The Amityville Horror" for instance- but Hooper's "TCM" really lost a good portion of its lingering, moody set pieces on that vhs which belonged to the very first batch of titles which got banned on video in the early mid 80's over there before they introduced even stricter rules:tongue1:
It wasn't really up until I caught the full version on laserdisc in the late 90's that TCM became one of my favourite genre films, which has an uncomfortable and apocalyptic mood still pretty much unmatched by the latest decade's wave of "retro" flicks.:cool:

Vampix 11th April 2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 141792)

FATMFH was Terence Fisher's Hammer swansong,wasn't it?

It sure was, and I think it's one of the best of the Hammer Frankenstein series.I'd have to add Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell to my list of 1974 faves as well.

Demoncrat 11th April 2011 12:45 PM

having seen TCM on vhs, dvd and finally at the cinema (complete with unappreciative late night crowd!!) i can now claim this to be part of my DNA, so il go for Frightmare (and ive only seen that once)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 05:35 PM

Frightmare's excellent - Pete Walker's best film, in my opinion.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:15 PM

Without a doubt mate.

Any other fans of Cohen's IT'S ALIVE?

talabartero 11th April 2011 06:20 PM

you have one here :eyebrows:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:50 PM

What did you enjoy about it tab?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 07:24 PM

I think the It's Alive films are vastly underrated as they are thought-provoking, well made and directed by Larry Cohen and Michael Moriarty always gives a good performance. The babies may not look as realistic as they would today but, as the remake showed, you can't beat the original.