Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1972 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5240-your-favourite-horror-film-1972-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 04:55 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1972

3 Attachment(s)
1972 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1972 is...

Horror Express - Eugenio Martin

Another classic, starring the irreplaceable Cushing and Lee pairing up to tackle a recently unthawed monster believed to be the 'missing link' running amok on a train.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
All the Colors of the Dark
Delirium
Don't Torture a Duckling
Dracula A.D. 1972
Pink Flamingos
Seven Bloodstained Orchids
Vampire Circus
What Have You Done to Solange?
Who Saw Her Die?
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:13 PM

I'm not familiar with all of these films and have only seen most of them once so my vote would have to go with Who Saw Her Die? simply because of its link to Don't Look Now and the excellent direction. I really must make an effort to watch the other ones on that list again!

Pete 8th April 2011 08:33 PM

DELIRIUM is an interesting experience to say the least. Apparently there is a XXX version.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141645)
I'm not familiar with all of these films and have only seen most of them once so my vote would have to go with Who Saw Her Die? simply because of its link to Don't Look Now and the excellent direction. I really must make an effort to watch the other ones on that list again!

Even though Who Saw Her Die? is a brilliant little giallo, for me it is the weakest of all the gialli I posted on my Runners Up list. Duckling, Orchids, and Solange would be my favourite gialli from 1972.

You seen Horror Express, Nos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141651)
DELIRIUM is an interesting experience to say the least. Apparently there is a XXX version.

I'd heard that too - was there ever a DVD release? I think I'd heard that maybe a Dutch or Austrian company had released a version, but I'm not sure whether there was any truth to it.

I first saw this a couple of years ago courtesy of Blue Underground's fine DVD (a re-release of the old ABUS version). I immediately liked it, bizarre though it may be.

Pete 8th April 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141655)

I'd heard that too - was there ever a DVD release? I think I'd heard that maybe a Dutch or Austrian company had released a version, but I'm not sure whether there was any truth to it.

I first saw this a couple of years ago courtesy of Blue Underground's fine DVD (a re-release of the old ABUS version). I immediately liked it, bizarre though it may be.

Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been released in Austria or Germany.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141655)
Even though Who Saw Her Die? is a brilliant little giallo, for me it is the weakest of all the gialli I posted on my Runners Up list. Duckling, Orchids, and Solange would be my favourite gialli from 1972.

You seen Horror Express, Nos?

Not yet -- I told you this thread would end up costing me money! I'm desperate for someone to re-release Your Vice is a Locked Room and I Have the Key (wrong year, I know), but the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace are ridiculous.

Pete 8th April 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141661)
Not yet -- I told you this thread would end up costing me money! I'm desperate for someone to re-release Your Vice is a Locked Room and I Have the Key (wrong year, I know), but the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace are ridiculous.

HORROR EXPRESS is great but it goes off the rails slightly (:P) when Telly Savallas shows up.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141661)

Horror Express is excellent - Cushing and Lee have a great dynamic going in this one, plus it's great to see them out of their usual Dracula/Van Helsing pairing.

Apparently (and I will post this in the Upcoming Non-UK Blu-Ray Releases thread too), Horror Express will be getting a Blu-Ray release courtesy of Severin this year - I only found this out when looking for the trailer on Youtube (it is the Severin trailer that I posted).

Also, you have the correct year thread for Your Vice. ;)

The NoShame release is very good, although MYA plan a re-release (I'm hoping Shameless release this one too though!)

Pete 8th April 2011 09:02 PM

Severin announced that a while ago, shame it's taking them so long to release it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141665)
Severin announced that a while ago, shame it's taking them so long to release it.

I thought they may have done - the Youtube trailer was 7 months old. I've posted a note in the thread about it anyway, though. As you say, hopefully there won't be a big delay in them releasing it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 09:29 PM

I've just ordered the DVD of Horror Express from Play.com for the princely sum of £2.79!

Make Them Die Slowly 9th April 2011 12:28 PM

I have to concur with "Horror Express" great film. How about these: "The Iron Rose", "The Blood Splattered Bride" and "Horror Rises From the Tomb".

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Night Evelyn Came out of the Grave

Vampix 9th April 2011 04:13 PM

Gary Sherman's cult classic Death Line for me.I love Horror Express though, and Tales from the Crypt is another fave of mine from 1972.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are far too many excellent films from the early seventies to decide on one. The same cannot be said of the late seventies where i didn't have much of a list at all.

Blood on Satans Claw
Cry of the Banshee
Horror Express
Death Line
Tales from the Crypt
The Wicker Man
The Exorcist
Return of the Evil Dead
Madhouse
Vampyres
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
The Vampire Lovers

All could have topped their respective years on another day.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:26 PM

Other goodies from '72 would be BLACULA and THE CREEPING FLESH :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141670)
I've just ordered the DVD of Horror Express from Play.com for the princely sum of £2.79!

Worth every penny. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 141717)
I have to concur with "Horror Express" great film. How about these: "The Iron Rose", "The Blood Splattered Bride" and "Horror Rises From the Tomb".

All good choices there. Horror Rises from the Tomb is one of my favourite Naschy films, and definitely worth seeking out for fans of Spanish Horror.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141726)
The Night Evelyn Came out of the Grave

This one sometimes get slated amongst horror and gialli fans alike, but it's a film I've always really enjoyed. Maybe it's the heavy gothic undertones that put some people off, but these are all part of the film's charms, for me. Neither straight giallo or gothic horror, but definitely worth watching.

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 06:29 PM

"Don't Torture A Duckling" for me without a doubt: What a moving powerhouse of a giallo, as thrilling, thought provoking and controversial as ever- and Fulci's finest hour imho.:clap:

Pete 11th April 2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141923)

This one sometimes get slated amongst horror and gialli fans alike, but it's a film I've always really enjoyed. Maybe it's the heavy gothic undertones that put some people off, but these are all part of the film's charms, for me. Neither straight giallo or gothic horror, but definitely worth watching.

EVELYN is a film I really need to revisit, I've only seen it once and coundn't get into it at all.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 142023)
EVELYN is a film I really need to revisit, I've only seen it once and coundn't get into it at all.

I have it in the Red Queen box set and haven't watched it yet, but plan to remedy that this week.

Pete 11th April 2011 08:46 AM

I have that set & have only watched both films once and, as I said, I couldn't get into to them but that was a few years ago so I think I should give them another chance.

Demoncrat 11th April 2011 11:48 AM

since noone seemed to notice il stick up for PINK FLAMINGOES. in its complete form it beats hands down these modern "ultrashockers", still makes people squirm (even the guy who sat through an u/c CH recently)...oh and nae Death Line? shame, tops my list...;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 11:52 AM

It's good to see some love for Pink Flamingos - and what a completely twisted tale of shocking debauchery it is too. ;) My favourite Waters film by far.

As for Death Line, I'm not a huge fan but it's definitely worth a watch. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 11:54 AM

It's true about Pink Flamingos as it is a film that really sets out to shock and does exactly that, from the old woman in the playpen to the unfortunate chicken and the infamous dog turd scene -- it's far from the easiest film to watch!

Demoncrat 11th April 2011 12:03 PM

ta there

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 142058)
It's good to see some love for Pink Flamingos - and what a completely twisted tale of shocking debauchery it is too. ;) My favourite Waters film by far.

As for Death Line, I'm not a huge fan but it's definitely worth a watch. ;)

the bit where they break in to their nemesis' lair and start licking everything remains a highlight...though i prefer Female Trouble as a film, PF still unbeaten for sheeer WTFness....:whoo:

Vampix 11th April 2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 142055)
...oh and nae Death Line? shame, tops my list...;)

I chose Death Line too, an excellent film with fine performances from Donald Pleasence and Hugh Armstrong.I chose it because it's so different to the Hammer and Amicus films around at the time of it's release, and the concept was so gruesome and original.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 142023)

Makes two of us mate.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 142086)
I chose Death Line too, an excellent film with fine performances from Donald Pleasence and Hugh Armstrong.I chose it because it's so different to the Hammer and Amicus films around at the time of it's release, and the concept was so gruesome and original.

Death Line is another great UK set shocker.:nod:

I wonder just how far and deep the London Underground does go.......

Pete 12th April 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 142055)
since noone seemed to notice il stick up for PINK FLAMINGOES. in its complete form it beats hands down these modern "ultrashockers", still makes people squirm (even the guy who sat through an u/c CH recently)...oh and nae Death Line? shame, tops my list...;)

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen it.

Demoncrat 12th April 2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 142403)
I'm ashamed to say I've never seen it.

nae need for shame, as far as i remember theres a nice R1 double with Female Trouble out there...though the one ive just found on amazon is a bit expensive for a first time see....

some truly memorable scenes...heres some from both
YouTube - Pink Flamingos: Birthday Present

YouTube - Female Trouble - Bratty Taffy's Jump-Rope Chants

lovers of the just plain deranged unite!!!

Jani 14th April 2011 10:03 AM

My fave from 1972 is Fulci's Non Si Sevizia un Paperino / Don't Torture a Duckling,after that I think Vampire Circus.Disturbing peace of giallo greatness,this one.Anchor Bay's DVD release is all I've seen.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jani (Post 142882)
My fave from 1972 is Fulci's Non Si Sevizia un Paperino / Don't Torture a Duckling,after that I think Vampire Circus.Disturbing peace of giallo greatness,this one.Anchor Bay's DVD release is all I've seen.

Duckling is one of Fulci's finest in my opinion, and even though I do prefer Lizard, it is still one of the finest gialli I've seen. I've only seen it via Blue Underground's very decent DVD (a port of the ABUS one), but am very much looking forward to seeing what Shameless do with this title.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 142907)
Duckling is one of Fulci's finest in my opinion, and even though I do prefer Lizard, it is still one of the finest gialli I've seen. I've only seen it via Blue Underground's very decent DVD (a port of the ABUS one), but am very much looking forward to seeing what Shameless do with this title.

Have you seen Fulci's Murder Rock?
Not one of his more celebrated films but as a giallo i prefer it to Duckling and Lizard.
Could well be the killers murder technique.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 142954)
Not one of his more celebrated films but as a giallo i prefer it to Duckling and Lizard.

I haven't seen that one but, just from those two images, I'm definitely going to check it out either by renting or buying a copy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 142958)
I haven't seen that one but, just from those two images, I'm definitely going to check it out either by renting or buying a copy.

Shriek Show have an excellent 2 disc set available.

Includes commentary's and doc on Fulci, Ray Lovelock and DOP Giuseppe Pinori

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have seen Murder Rock, and while I don't think it's as good as either Duckling or Lizard, it's still a fantastic film. It draws huge comparisons with Suspiria for me, but played out in a more conventional giallo style, rather than with the creeping supernatural elements of Argento's film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 142962)
Shriek Show have an excellent 2 disc set available.

Includes commentary's and doc on Fulci, Ray Lovelock and DOP Giuseppe Pinori

I have that very release - definitely recommended. :nod:

I also have a limited edition hardbox release of the film under the title 'Dancing Death' released by CCI; number 48 of 500.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 142907)

Don't Torture is a mesmerizing film by anyone's standards,it took me AGES to watch it.When I finally did,I was drawn in,hook,line and sinker.

The woman in the graveyard scene is one of those 'surely they're not going to...' scenes.;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 143038)
Don't Torture is a mesmerizing film by anyone's standards,it took me AGES to watch it.When I finally did,I was drawn in,hook,line and sinker.

The woman in the graveyard scene is one of those 'surely they're not going to...' scenes.;)

It certainly is. Although the dummies are really obvious, some of the scenes are still quite hard to watch and it's a film I should really watch more often.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

I couldn't resist the temptation, so ordered a copy from Amazon Marketplace yesterday. This is proving to be an expensive month, and we're only two weeks in!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 143150)
I couldn't resist the temptation, so ordered a copy from Amazon Marketplace yesterday. This is proving to be an expensive month, and we're only two weeks in!

Agreed, and now Bizarre eye has started his 1980's threads more films will get highlighted as glaring omissions from our collections. :mmph: