Thread: Ip Man 2
View Single Post
Old 13th November 2011, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
I liked the IP MAN films. They have a retro feel to them akin to the early 90s stuff which was coming out of Hong Kong studios. No flashy CGI or anything just good old martial arts mayhem and heroics.

Speaking of which, I watched LEGEND OF FONG SAI YUK on (Jet Li, 1993) blu ray earlier and its really the most amazing mix of comedy and martial arts I've ever seen. Its a fantastic film and probably Jet Li's best (the sequel is also great and deserves a BD release!), although I guess you could argue that may be the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA trilogy.
I've caught all of the first IM along with some scenes from the sequel and i like what i see so far. Well made and wonderfully choreographed as always. I'm still in the market to watch Ip Man: The Legend Is Born but i can't imagine this offering cutting the Mustard quite as good without Donnie Yen playing the relevant Wing Chun impresario.

Yours truly used to enjoy Li's early '90s outings way back when but can't get away with 'em now due to the overdone wirework and undercranked action. Simply too falsified for me i'm afraid.