Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   TURKEY SHOOT Brian Trenchard Smith 1982 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/1390-turkey-shoot-brian-trenchard-smith-1982-a.html)

Pete 9th June 2009 11:57 AM

TURKEY SHOOT Brian Trenchard Smith 1982

I was watching the interviews on the Turkey Shoot dvd and found out how much the cast hate it.

What do you think of it?

Is an exploitation classic or worthless shit?

Pete 9th June 2009 12:05 PM

I think its a classic of its kind.

Angel 9th June 2009 02:36 PM

I've never liked this film. I tried to watch it again recently but still find it unbearable.

gax 9th June 2009 02:58 PM

i bought the vipco dvd when it 1st came out uncut watched it once took it back the next day awful film worthless shit imo

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th June 2009 05:07 PM

One of my favourites Loopo.A true ten bob Oz classic.:popcorn:

goatboy 9th June 2009 08:42 PM

Utter crap...and i love it, memories of childhood come flooding back.

vincenzo 9th June 2009 09:03 PM

Didn't do much for me either I'm afraid.

vipco 10th June 2009 12:48 AM

The only film from OZ worth watching.
Brillant, intelligent little film imho. thats truly worth watching then revisiting every now and again.

How Mel Gibson in Mad Max gained more International acceptance than Turkey Shoot , i'll never know, especially under my fav name for it, Blood Camp Thatcher.

IMHO You NEED this in your collection ASAP.!

Gold6082 10th June 2009 08:14 AM

Depends what way you look at It.

The Film itself isn't exactly my favourite, then again I seen alot worse. I have a soft spot for Aussie Soaps,Films and Tv Dramas anyway as you know.

Now I have It On Vipco DVD so in terms of print well say no more that is worthless shit!! Uncut or not

Pete 10th June 2009 09:54 AM

I have the vipco dvd, the danish vipco vhs and the optimum dvd.

vipco 10th June 2009 10:40 AM

Is the Danish print differ in quality from the UK one Loop's?

Its also on the Ozpalition Label uncut as Turkey Shoot here in Blighty.

I thought the VIPCO version was 'good' Gold. You not like it mate.?

Pete 10th June 2009 10:48 AM

The danish tape was released back in 1993 when the bbfc butchered the uk vhs, like the dvd its uncut.

I thought the quality on the vipco dvd was quite good, slightly let down by the fact its cropped to 2.00.1 when it should be 2.35:1.

The Ozploitation dvd is Optimum.

Peter Neal 12th June 2009 05:59 AM

You basically get the same menu as in the Italian naziploitation movies, but the futuristic setting does the cartoonish nature of the movie far better justice and with likeable leads, loads of action, suitable sleaze, wicked humour and competent direction, this is heads and tails above most of its Italian ccompetitors.
I like it!:cool:

mark meakin 12th June 2009 08:03 AM

I've always found the film entertaining,though it's not particularly well acted but it bought Australian movie making to my attention along with Mad Max. (Which I thought was American when I first ever watched the precert video With an 'X' on the box) I got to also appreciate the likes of Picnic At Hanging Rock,The Last Wave,Patrick,Roadgames,Razorback & the beautifully atmospheric Long Weekend.After only seeing Turkey Shoot on the Guild Home Video label in it's butchered theatrical version (The US one also suffered heavy cuts),it was great getting hold of an import of the full Vipco video release.Bob McCarrons effects were on the whole very effective & The film certainly looks like it cost more than I can imagine it did.

Pete 12th June 2009 09:40 AM

My Turkey Shoot comaprisons have been added to DVD Compare:woot:

vipco 12th June 2009 10:26 AM

I really like this which is strange as I rank OZ a 3rd world country when it comes to film making and would'nt give anyAustrilian film a 2nd look, includingMad Max, which imho is vastly overated.
Australian films are more Miss than hit imo.

Pete 12th June 2009 10:29 AM

I agree with you on Mad Max Vips, but i disagree on everything else. I think the Aussies have made some decent movies.

Peter Neal 12th June 2009 12:02 PM

Storm Warning, Wolf Creek, Razorback, Black Water, Rogue etc, etc. I like the "Aussie" touch in horror.:cool:

vincenzo 12th June 2009 12:05 PM

The Chant Of Jimmie Blacksmith is another Australian gem.

mark meakin 12th June 2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 30811)
Storm Warning, Wolf Creek, Razorback, Black Water, Rogue etc, etc. I like the "Aussie" touch in horror.:cool:

Black Water & Wolf Lake were also great,though I've yet to watch the atmospheric looking Storm Warning.As mentioned The Chant Of Jimmie Blacksmith (Out in Australia on dvd) is also a fine film.I want to see OUTBACK (aka Wake Up In Fright) which has apparently been discovered recently in its uncut form from what Marc Morris posted on the Cult Movie Forums a bit back.

Daemonia 13th June 2009 01:52 PM

Classic exploitation or worthless crap? Actually, I think it falls somewhere in between IMO. It's not quite a classic but it's good enough not to be total shit. I do think it has a better reputation than it deserves, it's not that good, I don't think. It's so-so, an okay affair but nothing to write home about.

vipco 14th June 2009 01:18 AM

No offence, but those OZ films a few mentioned should have to carry those warning boxes on the jacket.
WARNING---This film contains scenes of extreme boredom ! hehehehe

Sam@Cult Labs 14th June 2009 03:17 PM

What about Bad Boy Bubby?

I love that movie.

Delirium 14th June 2009 05:17 PM

Bad Boy Bubby is a terrific film.

In fact, this is dying for a poll of it's own: What's your favourite Oz-sploitation film? There's plenty of greats too choose from. As for Blood Camp Thatcher, it's deliriously wonderful crap. Thumbs up from me!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th June 2009 05:33 PM

CLASSIC -8

CRAP-2

:woot:

gag 16th June 2009 11:38 AM

Nobody mentioned chopper yet a Australian film
Highly entertaining film again not a classic but def well worth having

Gold6082 16th July 2009 04:42 PM

Just Watched Thatcher again after years!, I never realised there were so many Famous Aussie faces, Lynda Stoner was a main female in the film she was a famous model also actress most memorable for her brief role In prisoner Cell Block H where her violent attack on officer Joyce Barry ep 586 went down amongst the most violent scenes of the whole run. The girl beaten to a pulp near the start was oriana Panzozzo, who was the second actress to play whingy pain in the arse Susan Hamilton for the finale 2 seasons of Sons & Daughters,The vicious bald headed coot on the artwork who attacked Oriana also played an equally vicious guard at the blackmoor prison in Cell Block H's final 30 episodes 666 (How ironic).

The Film itself has had time be fairly kind to it, it is definately an exploitation classic, and the print was quite reasonable for vipco,I get the impression it was however dubbed for some odd reason??, it is a film that can be enjoyed more than once.

Splatterdragon73 29th August 2009 12:52 PM

Personally, i think TS tips more towards the classic end of the exploitation scale rather than the crap end. The film certainly has it's flaws but TS still merits a viewing imo and what about Michael Craig's (excuse the pun) explosive exit? Quite possibly the highlight of the film.:happy:

skankenstoned 21st June 2011 12:09 PM

Just ordered the optimum disc from amazon,looking forward to making an informed decision on this...

Demoncrat 21st June 2011 02:06 PM

ah, ive only got the hardgore 1, £1 in blockbusters etc, i take it this is cut?? as exploitation its up there, sleazy guards (though nae as sleazy as in Big Bird Cage), crushingly naff dialogue....im digging this out tonight...

speaking of oz "classics" anyone remember THE CLUB?? twas one of the red triangle films i seem to remember????

Pete 21st June 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 159453)
ah, ive only got the hardgore 1, £1 in blockbusters etc, i take it this is cut?? as exploitation its up there, sleazy guards (though nae as sleazy as in Big Bird Cage), crushingly naff dialogue....im digging this out tonight...

speaking of oz "classics" anyone remember THE CLUB?? twas one of the red triangle films i seem to remember????

Hardgore edition is uncut.:)

Demoncrat 22nd June 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 159537)
Hardgore edition is uncut.:)

michty!! ok, noted. cheers....

skankenstoned 22nd June 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 159453)

Been meaning to get Big Bird Cage for a while, any good?

Beyond72 23rd June 2011 09:21 AM

I always remember my older brother telling me about it when it first came out, so I really wanted to see it for along time. But I honestly wasn't that impressed with it in the end, the head shot at the end is terrific though!

Demoncrat 23rd June 2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skankenstoned (Post 159919)
Been meaning to get Big Bird Cage for a while, any good?

its a singular delight, sid haig & pam grier etc, some really ripe dialogue etc, i approve of such cheese but its nae up there in the WIP stakes, tis more cuddly than them....;);)

Rotten 23rd June 2011 02:46 PM

saw it on the old Bravo channel years ago, loved it......gonna try getting a cheapy from amazon

Splatterdragon73 25th June 2011 08:21 AM

I used to own both the Vipco and Hardgore editions of the relevant Aussie actioner but passed 'em both on in favour of the ABUS release and Optimum's DVD. I believe the latter boasts an interview with director Brian Trenchard-Smith that isn't mentioned on the actual sleeve.

Impressive Danish outfit AWE also issued a good TS DVD a while back with the best cover of the lot imo. No surprises there!:)

skankenstoned 25th June 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 160003)
its a singular delight, sid haig & pam grier etc, some really ripe dialogue etc, i approve of such cheese but its nae up there in the WIP stakes, tis more cuddly than them....;);)

Nice, thought it might be quite a tame one but I'll grab it soon anyway.
Watched Turkey Shoot and I'd like to start by saying thanks to Optimum for some cool extras which give the viewer a real insight into the back story of how this movie came to be and the picture quality is perfect. So to the film itself, AWESOME!!! I love it and really feel as though i should've seen it sooner, love the casting,acting,dialogue,sets,and fx and the soundtrack is exactly what you'd expect from this kind of film. Exploitation classic that plays like a cross between Logans Run and The Running Man on acid, QUALITY TRASH!!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th September 2011 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who'd buy TURKEY SHOOT on BD?

Actually I quite like the old Vipco title and artwork that was BLOODCAMP THATCHER!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th September 2011 08:11 PM

Perhaps Vipco can make a comeback and release this on BD with DVD quality picture?;)

I'd love to see this in Hi Def!