Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1983 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/5304-your-favourite-horror-film-1983-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 07:06 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1983

3 Attachment(s)
1983 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1983 is...

Videodrome - David Cronenberg

Even though there were some great films released in 1983 (incidentally the year I was born), my top choice was an easy one. Mainly because Videodrome is quite probably my favourite film of any genre of all time. Croneberg is on top form in what is his definitive body horror classic.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
A Blade in the Dark
Christine
The Deadly Spawn
The Hunger
Mausoleum
Panic Beats
Seeding of a Ghost
Sleepaway Camp

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 10:00 PM

1983 wasn't the greatest year this decade for horror films as it didn't have the depth of some of the the years. However, it did boast one of David Cronenberg's finest films: Videodrome. This is one of the few films that improves the more times you see it with one of James Woods' finest performances and effects which still look remarkably good even now.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 10:58 PM

1983 was also the year that Michael Mann's The Keep came out. Long overdue a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vampix 15th April 2011 03:30 AM

Again I'm going to be different and say the totally bizarre but still entertaining, Xtro. :)

Jani 15th April 2011 07:49 AM

Easy pick: Videodrome.When they remake Videodrome,I don't care anymore.I just don't care.Cronenberg's vision is truly original and should be left alone with artistic immunity.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 143171)
1983 was also the year that Michael Mann's The Keep came out. Long overdue a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I last saw The Keep, I thought it was really interesting and building up to something special but then it just seemed to fall away in the second half which was a real shame. I might feel differently if I watch it again so, as you say, it is long overdue a DVD or BD release.

stefanmetal 15th April 2011 11:26 AM

Psycho 2, love the ending in that!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A poor year, twas between the mighty Paul Naschy's Panic Beats and Psycho 2 - very nearly as good as Hitchcock's original.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 05:50 PM

Panic Beats is fantastic. :cool:

I didn't think much of Psycho II, but after reading some of the comments on here, perhaps I need to revisit it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 143334)
Panic Beats is fantastic. :cool:

I didn't think much of Psycho II, but after reading some of the comments on here, perhaps I need to revisit it.

I picked up the Psycho box set, all 4 films are excellent.:popcorn: