Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   The Friday The 13th Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/807-friday-13th-films.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:07 PM

The Friday The 13th Films

What's your favourite Jason episode and why?:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:15 PM

I've a soft spot for Part IV as I reckon this is when Jason really came into his own.....

cloud 20th October 2008 05:18 PM

Gotta be part IV. That was its peak with Jason firmly established, a hysterical performance by Crispin Glover, a dark gloomy atmosphere and not the stupid comic book-like direction they took it from VI onwards.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
****,we finally agree on something Cloudy:jest:....But yeah part IV for a ludicrous Feldman finale as well.....:rofl:
Also had the coolest poster art as well.....:woot:

cloud 20th October 2008 05:34 PM

It says 'Martes' instead of 'Viernes' that's just weird Tuesday The 13th? lol!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:37 PM

Yeah strange that....:confused:
The old vhs sellthrough artwork was better than the dvd releases I reckon....

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:41 PM

You know what I couldn't agree with you more about number IV! It IS the best Friday the 13th film much better than the film which followed it; the dreadfully shite number V. Jason X was quite bad too, but I'd say it was better than V purely due to the fact that Cronenberg had a cameo in it! Horray!

cloud 20th October 2008 05:44 PM

Hey enough of that I love part V and it was my favourite growing up. It has its faults but it's the most fun of the lot I reckon. If only it had Jason and some more gore then it would have been a classic imo. Compared to part VI it was a masterpiece.

Then again, maybe I'm being too biased ;).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 05:45 PM

Five was a feckin disaster ILUV!
Basically I like 'em all bar Part V and Jason goes to Hell.
Manhattan and The New Blood were underachievers,but were still fun IMHO....

Angel 20th October 2008 06:11 PM

I thought P6 was the best. P9 by far the worst.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 06:14 PM

Yeah part 9 was pretty dire Angel,not enough of ol' hockey mask.....:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 06:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Remember these?Anyone else prefer the artwork to their DVD counterparts?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 06:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
However,I prefer the covers on the DVD's to the VHS on these two....not a lot of imagination went into the vhs part 2 eh?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 07:57 PM

I've just been reading DVD DELIRIUM VOL.1,and it suggests that Parts 3 and four on dvd are uncut....can anyone confirm?

Halloween_22 20th October 2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15962)
Remember these?Anyone else prefer the artwork to their DVD counterparts?

I've got all the vhs versions with those covers. Could never bear to part with them :p even after upgrading to DVD. Got them from the first one up to Part VIII.

Part III was always my favourite of the Friday's. Creeped the hell out of me when I was younger, plus, it was the first to feature the hockey mask :cool: Part IV is a close second though.

vincenzo 20th October 2008 09:43 PM

The original Friday The 13th for me. I first saw it on the flicks back in 1982 (at the tender age of 16) as part of a double bill with Mad Max, and it still has more style & scares for me than any of the sequels that followed.

I saw Part 3 in 3-D and still have the glasses to prove it. http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...es/biggrin.gif

Halloween_22 20th October 2008 09:52 PM

I'll always have a deep fondness for the first Friday the 13th. It was the first proper horror film I ever watched 10 years ago back when I was 13. I could never have imagined how much that 80 odd minutes would change my life :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15971)
I've just been reading DVD DELIRIUM VOL.1,and it suggests that Parts 3 and four on dvd are uncut....can anyone confirm?

Just finished watching Part 2-it looks trimmed-the jump cuts ain't very good-take it this is cut?

Angel 21st October 2008 06:42 AM

Reaps - I haven't seen the UK DVDs of P3 & 4 but the BBFC did waive the cuts to these so they should be uncut, although I don't know if the MPAA cuts have been restored.

P2 is still cut and probably always will be.

Peter Neal 21st October 2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 15946)
Gotta be part IV. That was its peak with Jason firmly established, a hysterical performance by Crispin Glover, a dark gloomy atmosphere and not the stupid comic book-like direction they took it from VI onwards.

Totally agree here! It's IV for me, too....though I have to admit to "Jason Lives" being a particular fave of mine in my early teens.:D:popcorn:

As much as I like to bash the poor treatment Paramount has given its Fridays so far, I never really warmed up to the "Jason" movies New Line churmed out-though I can see that they aimed for something "different" in a dire period for the genre with "Jason goes to Hell", it simply didn't worked for me any more.
BUT I've got high hopes for the remake....:cool:

Peter Neal 21st October 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15990)
Just finished watching Part 2-it looks trimmed-the jump cuts ain't very good-take it this is cut?

This should be the "quality" kind of cuts to rival Paramount's butcher job for "My Bloody Valentine". The MPAA thought that the original got off lightly, so they took it out on Part 2. ad, really, as the cut Carl Fullerton FX stills look great...:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st October 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 15991)
Reaps - I haven't seen the UK DVDs of P3 & 4 but the BBFC did waive the cuts to these so they should be uncut, although I don't know if the MPAA cuts have been restored.

P2 is still cut and probably always will be.

Thanks Angel,thought it was....:)

vipco 21st October 2008 11:42 PM

I liked part 1 , but to be honest im not really a fan of the franchise .

Daemonia 22nd October 2008 10:45 AM

Part 6 for me - as this seems to me to be everything a horror movie should be. Graveyards, a resurrected monster, a teenager no-one believes and some inventive kills. It's a winner with me from start-to-finish, the best in the entire series IMO.

gax 22nd October 2008 11:15 AM

the uk dvds from paramount are all the R rated versions :(.I like part 4 the most but the 1st 4 and 6,7 are all fun to watch,i hated part 5 when i 1st saw it but i bought part 5 version 2 and that was ok so ill have to watch the release version again

eiren 22nd October 2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 15953)
Hey enough of that I love part V and it was my favourite growing up. It has its faults but it's the most fun of the lot I reckon. If only it had Jason and some more gore then it would have been a classic imo. Compared to part VI it was a masterpiece.

Then again, maybe I'm being too biased ;).

I think V would be a lot better if they hadn't cut out most of the gore from it. It's got a huge body count, but was really badly censored.

I'm not sure if there's a complete uncut workprint of it in existence?

It's sad that these films are still heavily edited even now.

steve 22nd October 2008 05:49 PM

I would have voted for Friday 13th (the first film) but it's not really Jason's film, it's his mother's, so I've gone for Part 2. I really like Part 2 as there are lots of great scenes and Jason wasn't the super human being he becomes in the other films (which I really like as they're all fun).

Matt 23rd October 2008 12:22 PM

I voted for the first. The sequels are generally good fun but the first is actually a pretty decent movie. I managed to see it on the big screen this year, at the Prince Charles Cinema where the print was scratched to ****, had an X-Rating attached and had fuzzy sound; one of the best cinema experiences of the year.

I saw the trailer for the remake yesterday. I'm pretty open minded about remakes and trailers in general (a bad trailer doesn't always mean a bad film). Anyway, I have to see that I think it looks a) like a remake of F13 part 2, and b) like a terrible movie.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd October 2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 16024)
Part 6 for me - as this seems to me to be everything a horror movie should be. Graveyards, a resurrected monster, a teenager no-one believes and some inventive kills. It's a winner with me from start-to-finish, the best in the entire series IMO.

Great the way they revived Jason in this one-a nod to Frankenstein you think?:)

mark meakin 30th October 2008 09:46 AM

The Final Chapter is easily the best & I'm surprised this one got away with as much as it did considering how hard the MPAA came down on the films after the first.Jason's 'Demise' cut on video here (restored to dvd) was pretty impressive & I think the film benefited from Joseph Zito's direction as he had proved a fairly capable slasher director with Rosemarys Killer.
The first I find very overrated,though it is quite atmospheric with a good scare at the climax.
I'd considered the second film a far better one than the first & also very atmospheric,though the MPAA cuts were damaging.As many have rightly pointed out it steals heavily from Bava's Bay Of Blood (The spear killing & the machete in face)
Part 3 is pretty routine despite the same director,though I suppose the 3D version is a bit more entertaining.This film Reaps restores a few snippets of BBFC cuts.A shot of a halved corpse,a snippet to the harpoon in eye sequence & a knife emerging from a woman's chest after blood drips on her from the cut in half body mentioned already.
Part 5 was very watchable,but the MPAA cuts listed in a fangoria magazine were very heavy.(I think many deaths were altered at the script stage though, including a machete beween one victims legs)
Part 6 was great fun with a nice Bond parody opening & technically I'd say it's the best made & funniest (intentionally)
Part 7 blew it big time(though Jason looked nasty),as it was very dull though the MPAA cuts certainly did not help.
Part 8 also suffered MPAA cuts notably to the killing of a boxer with darts through both eyes (shown as a still in Fangoria)It was a nice idea to move the action from Crystal Lake but then they were unsure what to really do with Jason.The mk-up effects work is particularly lousy including a really poor severed head
Part 9 in its 'R' cut is pretty unwatchable and the film turns into a rip-off of The Hidden more than a slasher film
Part 10 was OK and had some nice touches but I'm not keen at all on Freddy Vs Jason.

Pete 30th October 2008 09:58 AM

I'm not really a fan of the Friday 13th movies but i reckon part 4 is the best and i like part 6 as well.

mark meakin 30th October 2008 10:30 AM

Info here on the MPAA cuts throughout the series:-
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...ad.php?t=26594

Sarah@Cult Labs 30th October 2008 11:32 AM

Part 4 was always my favourite. I used to adore Corey Feldman when I was a kid...

Plus it's the best in my humble opinion!

Peter Neal 2nd July 2009 05:23 PM

"Friday, the 13th" Delux Editions: Any chance for R2?

At long last, "The Mount" have done something remotely ressembling the treatment the fans have asked for in the last 2 decades, with launching the "Deluxe Edition" revamp of their "Friday, the 13th" movies on DVD and BluRay...so far only on R1!:ack::D

With the series just having received a re-issue in the UK (with parts 4-8 just being the repackaged original barebones releases:mad:) I guess the chances don't seem too bright, but given the series' HUGE EU-fanbase, I'm just struggling to think as to why Paramount would want to miss out on lots of "Friday" fanatics just dying to re-buy their original DVDs for the attractive extras on R2?:confused::confused:

Huge portions of EU fans prefer their movies with subs or dubs in their language, so I was just wondering if anybody has heard anything about the potential arrival of the "Deluxe Editions" of the "Friday, the 13th" series on R2:confused:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd July 2009 07:47 PM

They were re-released on Region 2 a while back PN,but I don't know if they're up to much.I've bought the R1 versions up to date,but as usual,haven't got round to watching ANY of them yet....:rolleyes:

Peter Neal 2nd July 2009 07:59 PM

I did some checking on the www and everything points to the recent UK re-issues of parts 4-8 just being repackages of the original bare bone R2s, plus- of course- the third installment NOT featuring the 3D option of the recent R1 re-issue.:D

Here's a link which lists the extras of the new "Final Chapter" disc- sadly in German, but I guess most of them are easily identyfiable:o:

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fas...=54&vid=273826

JAMIOUSE 3rd July 2009 08:46 AM

The 3D Version of Part 3 doesn't really work anyway, I tried to watch it last Saturday and it was just a reddy, greeny, bluey mess with the 3D Glasses on!

Peter Neal 3rd July 2009 01:47 PM

Yeah, but the additional features on the cut footage, audio commentaries ("The final Chapter" has got 2(!!!) tracks!) and interviews WOULD make these also into must buys for the EU fans which aren't crazy over importing all the cool stuff on R1s:o
The "Deluxe Edition" clearly seems to be what the "Ultimate Edition" box set (R1) only hinted at...so it'll be intersting to see in any case how the upcoming DE of "The new Blood" will look like....;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th July 2009 06:29 PM

8 Attachment(s)
They're looking good......:cool:

Peter Neal 4th July 2009 06:47 PM

Yes indeed...and we EU Friday fans deserve them too...on R2!:D:cool::popcorn:
Come on, Paramount! I did spend my cash on Jason's misadventures for the original R2 DVD releases, which I didn't upgrade- not even partially- since the early 00's- very much unlike my varying DVDs of the Halloween series....I just very much hope that "The Mount" is aware that there ARE fans very much interested in shelling out for those flicks again- given that they're also IMPROVED "Deluxe Edition" style over here!!:D