Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/895-halloween-iii-season-witch-1982-a.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th November 2008 07:39 PM

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

1 Attachment(s)
HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH......Love it or hate it?
Me personally,I love it even though it's not associated with Mr Myers....it's creepy,atmospheric and the cinematography by Dean Cundey is stunning as always!Tom Atkins is an unsung genre hero imo.....
I've just splashed out on this Japanese version which cost me 48 quid.....:puke::eek:
What's your opinion on this 'little gem'?

cloud 25th November 2008 09:21 PM

It's a decent film but to be honest with you I'm fed up of hearing how great and underrated it is on film forums. Maybe it was underrated pre-2000 but now I reckon it's vastly overrated. My favourite Halloween sequel is IV, 'tis mighty fun.

What made you pay 48 nicker for the Japanese disc?

gax 25th November 2008 09:22 PM

the only halloween film i like.MM sucks as a bad guy

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th November 2008 10:44 PM

It's great and underrated.....:D
48 nicker?-The artwork......;)

vincenzo 25th November 2008 11:31 PM

Coincidentally enough I picked up a sealed copy of the MIA DVD from a flea market last week for a princely 75p. The print is absolutely Vipcocious (VHS transfer) but at least it's completely uncut (the only uncut UK home release to date).

The title did it no favours at all. Perhaps simply Halloween: Season Of The Witch would have been better. Nice in-joke references too. Especially Halloween on the TV, Dick Warlock (Halloween II's Michael Myers) as the hospital assassin, Nancy Kyes (formerly Loomis) from the original Halloween as Tom Atkins wife etc. It isn't a masterpiece but I quite enjoy it.

vipco 25th November 2008 11:32 PM

I liked Haloween 3 , and really enjoyed the 1st film , but im not really a Haloween fan to be honest.

The artwork on Reap's version is great though.

Peter Neal 26th November 2008 04:51 AM

Nr 3 ALWAYS feels like an odd bumper when I'm getting my (in earler years:D) anual "Halloween Series Marathon" going.
Around the 31. I enjoyed the first two installments...and still I just can't get myself watching "Season of the Witch" for the SECOND year in a row...Meaning that- nutcase fan that I am- I couldn't get myself jumping just over it to the (imho excellent) "Halloween IV"!:p
So that makes for 2 years of uncompleted "Halloween Marathons"....:jest:
I'll safe my further thoughts for the inevitable review at some later point, but I might tell as much right now: Even though I'm a HUGE Myers fanboy (Ever been since my teens), I won't stamp it into the ground....:o

mark meakin 26th November 2008 07:44 AM

I love this one too & along with Humanoids From The Deep (Monster) it remains one of my favourite films of the early 80s.(I don't suppose anyones's seen the Japanese disc of that for a reasonable price as I only have the r1 missing the decapitation ?)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th November 2008 05:21 PM

Fortune's Mark,bloody fortunes mate and the c**ts selling 'em on Amazon Japan WON'T ship to the uk.......:mad:I found a MONSTER on AM.JP a couple of months ago,it worked out about 40 odd quid,but whatever happened,the bastard refunded me instead of sending the DVD......:mad:
The New Concorde region 1 will have to suffice,even though it's slightly cut....:rolleyes:
It and Halloween 3,two of the best movies from the glorious days of video...;)

Sam 26th November 2008 05:38 PM

Halloween 3 is probably my favourite except for the first. It's got the feel of a twilight zone/outer limits episode and I thought the ending was quite shocking when I first saw it (and really downbeat too).

Not sure I'd pay 40-odd quid for it though - I got the Mia version from the pound shop a few years ago and that'll do for me!! That artwork is nice though...

TALL DUDE 28th November 2008 10:51 AM

Halloween 3 is one of those films that gets better with every viewing.
I picked up the mia release a wee while back,and whilst being pan and scan its at least fully uncut which will do for me.
Soundtracks excellent too!:cool:

vincenzo 28th November 2008 10:58 AM

Yep, the MIA release is indeed the fully uncut version. The only UK one since the cinema print to be so.

mark meakin 28th November 2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 18079)
Yep, the MIA release is indeed the fully uncut version. The only UK one since the cinema print to be so.

I had the old Thorn EMI version which like several of their titles at the time (Dead Zone & Children Of The Corn) had something along the lines "this film was rated 15 for cinema release but further cuts have been made for video" printed on the films label.I noticed on my copy that there was another label with an 18 in a tiny circle under the 15 one which had not been concealed properly.It would seem the company at one time considered raising the films classification to an 18 but then decided on cuts:mad:

EDIT -I promise I'm not suffering from the dreaded Commando severed arm battering syndrome !

vincenzo 28th November 2008 12:06 PM

Yes it's crazy really. Even the current DVD (Sanctuary) is a re-edited print which cuts out much of the film's two face mutilation scenes.

I never had the shorter Children Of The Corn though I remember the old 15-rated video of The Dead Zone. The scissor suicide of Nicholas Campbell was completely missing.

cloud 28th November 2008 12:08 PM

Is the R1 (double billed with Halloween II) cut? I was thinking of ordering that. I'm still stuck with the old MIA VHS.

Regarding the violence in it. It was pretty grim I must say.

vincenzo 28th November 2008 12:11 PM

Halloween III did pretty well to get an uncut 15 for cinema back in the Ferman days. Ditto for Creepshow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 18082)
EDIT -I promise I'm not suffering from the dreaded Commando severed arm battering syndrome !

http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...ilies/rofl.gif

mark meakin 28th November 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 18086)
Is the R1 (double billed with Halloween II) cut? I was thinking of ordering that. I'm still stuck with the old MIA VHS.

Regarding the violence in it. It was pretty grim I must say.

It's uncut & in its correct aspect ratio,the only way to appreciate the film fully.The P & S video versions ruin the film.I have the early non anamorphic r1 dvd from Goodtimes

mark meakin 28th November 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 18084)
Yes it's crazy really. Even the current DVD (Sanctuary) is a re-edited print which cuts out much of the film's two face mutilation scenes.

I never had the shorter Children Of The Corn though I remember the old 15-rated video of The Dead Zone. The scissor suicide of Nicholas Campbell was completely missing.

The versions of Children Of The Corn available now,don't seem any different to the Thorn EMI version to me but I would appreciate knowing what the additions are.I know one guy was always offering big money in mags for a first ITV screening depicting a fight between R.G Armstrong & the kids (Commando fever ?,though I gather it was possibly cut for an 'R').I wonder if the cuts were actually carried out,as both the Dead Zone & Halloween 3 video releases from Thorn EMI have the cuts length details on the BBFC database.There are no mentions of COTC cuts despite the stickers on the old Thorn EMI video saying they were.

vincenzo 28th November 2008 04:09 PM

There seems to be a 5 min difference in running times between the 1986 & 1992 videos of COTC according to the BBFC (not the most accurate of sources granted). Ditto for the 1986/1993 Dead Zone listings, though at least they mention the 13 sec pre-edit to the 1986 video.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th November 2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 18076)
Halloween 3 is one of those films that gets better with every viewing.
I picked up the mia release a wee while back,and whilst being pan and scan its at least fully uncut which will do for me.
Soundtracks excellent too!:cool:

Spot on mate....a man with good taste.....;)
Cloud,I'll trade you the Region 1 Universal HALLOWEEN III-it's fully uncut.

cloud 28th November 2008 05:02 PM

I got nowt left to trade off Reaps. You took my last 2 for trade discs ;).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th November 2008 05:06 PM

Fair enough mate....:)
I also accept Giro's,ginger bottles,Provie cheques and Luncheon vouchers if that's any use......:jest:;)

Daemonia 30th November 2008 07:31 PM

I've always had a soft spot for Halloween III ever since I caught it at the cinema on its initial release in the early 80's. One of my earliest experiences of big screen horror, too - this and Creepshow.

I like the way it takes things off on a tangent and tries to do something different to what went before. Yes, I do really like this one. :)

Halloween_22 30th November 2008 07:52 PM

Yeah, it's a great film, very underrated. Would have been interesting to see how things had panned out if they'd have gone the route of continuing the franchise as a Halloween themed Anthology series. Obviously I'm not complaining, I love the Myers films a great deal but I like that idea and it's a shame it never happened, it could have been done as a spin off/ off-shoot series perhaps.

1313 10th December 2008 04:21 PM

Halloween 3 is a wicked film, you've just got to treat it as a film on its own & not part of the franchise, as obvious as that sounds.
Quite creepy in places, good story & disturbing ending. I like the intro & take on the Halloween theme too!

DeadAlive 10th December 2008 05:03 PM

I have to along with the general consensus here. "Halloween lll" deserves a bit more respect than it gets. I used to work with one guy who though it was crap because there was no Michael Myers in it and so wouldn't even entertain watching it. I've even heard it referred to as the "not really a Halloween" film. Personally I watched it again this halloween, along with the classic one and ok two.

1313 10th December 2008 05:15 PM

i managed to win a huge quad poster of Halloween 3 off Ebay not long ago.
Instead of the typical cover art it has a huge picture of someone wearing & clutching at the witches mask!
I've also got a smaller daybill one featuring the skeleton mask with beams of light coming out its eyes. There's something cult about Halloween 3 that makes me like it even more,lol!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th December 2008 06:09 PM

Got a bill in from ****ing Fed ex for £15.90 today for ****ing import charges on my Japanese Halloween III....Pic quality had better be worth it.....:mad:

1313 10th December 2008 06:18 PM

****in' import charges! I got stung for £20 a few weeks ago for some dvds off amazon. I've ordered twice as much before & been charged nothing, they must randomly decide to rob people,lol!

mark meakin 10th December 2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1313 (Post 18793)
****in' import charges! I got stung for £20 a few weeks ago for some dvds off amazon. I've ordered twice as much before & been charged nothing, they must randomly decide to rob people,lol!

I had to pay an extra £13.00 last year for my US import of the Rudy Ray Moore box set (Xenon).It's just pure luck (well bad luck)I ordered the r1 box of Lone Wolf & Cub which cost considerably more & got off scott free.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 06:23 PM

Don't fork out on the Japanese import folks-it's cut:rofl:
Ach well,all that money for a nice artwork cover...:rolleyes:
Glad I didn't trade you me R1 version Cloudy.....;)

cloud 2nd January 2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 19670)
Don't fork out on the Japanese import folks-it's cut
Ach well,all that money for a nice artwork cover...
Glad I didn't trade you me R1 version Cloudy.

That's the funniest post I've read in ages :rofl:. Just when I thought Shameless forums had gone silent Reaps returns to brighten it up :cool:. Ever considered stand up comedy?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 10:49 PM

I'm a ****ing clown? I amuse you how? How do I ****ing amuse you?:rofl:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 11:33 PM

Only joking Cloudy....most expensive cut dvd I've bought yet :blush:
ALL the gore is cut from it.....:mad:

vincenzo 3rd January 2009 12:35 AM

Apparently there's quite a lot missing from the Japanese print......

Quote:

10.36: Dialogue between Walter Jones and Challis is missing. When we see the shot of Grimbridge on the stretcher in front of the TV, the lines "Hey, can I leave now?", and "Sure, I don't see why not" are missing, and cuts straight to Challis shaking Walter's hand and saying, "Thanks a lot for bringing him."
13.36: When Harry Grimbridge is murdered, the assassin enters the room and poises his fingers above his head, before using them to kill him. Only a couple of seconds of his death is shown, before it cuts to the mask laying on the floor, 22 sec.
34.34: When Starker is killed, the DVD is missing the second shot of the assassin's face after the fountain of blood sprays from Starker's neck. Furthermore it's missing the scene where Ellie is walking through the parking lot. It cuts straight to Ellie jumping in shock after Marge accidentally hits her car horn, 17 sec.
40.00: When Marge is killed, only a quick shot of her hands covering her face is shown, before it fades out to the next scene, 26 sec.
1.08.09: Halloween montage is shortened: it goes straight from the shot of the Silver Shamrock van in Seattle to the aerial view of Phoenix at the end of the scene. What's missing here is the scene showing the trick-or-treaters in Phoenix, Arizona and 2 children watching TV . The line "It's almost time. Hurry home" is heard as a voiceover at the aerial shot of Phoenix, 21 sec.
1.10.36: The scene when Teddy is killed, is shortened . It cuts out the part at the end where the murder gets up and walks off. It's also missing the time caption 7.30 PM and a shot of the motels in Silver Shamrock, 21 sec.
Even worse than the UK Sanctuary release. Sounds as much use as a chocolate teapot. http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...ilies/ack2.gif

bedorca 3rd January 2009 08:03 AM

What happened Reaps?

Did you not do your research before hand? :(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2009 10:44 AM

Was blinded by terrific artwork mate:blush: I wouldn't not where to look for cuts to Japanese dvd's......where did you come upon that info Vince?

vincenzo 4th January 2009 11:42 AM

I stole it from DVDCompare while their backs were turned. http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...es/biggrin.gif

cloud 4th January 2009 05:31 PM

The artwork ain't that good. You could have got 2 Ozploitation box sets for that kind of money.

mark meakin 6th January 2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 19670)
Don't fork out on the Japanese import folks-it's cut:rofl:
Ach well,all that money for a nice artwork cover...:rolleyes:
Glad I didn't trade you me R1 version Cloudy.....;)

I bought a r0 Korean version which looks like a port of the non anamorphic Goodtimes US release I owned.Totally uncut in a slipcover for about £6.00 inc P&P.I've heard dubious things about some Korean releases but I'm happy with it as well as their versions of The Beastmaster & Live Wire (UNCUT) I've bought.Angel Of Vengeance (MS 45) next for me & I want to check out if the Korean version of Private Lessons is uncut.