View Single Post
Old 25th November 2011, 11:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had some time last night, and managed to sqeeze in two recent grabs from Film4 and BBC4. First up was Monsters, from 2010 - about a mismatched couple trying to get back to America from an alien inhabited Mexico. Someone descibed this to me as a sci-fi movie done by Terence Malick, a tall-order in anyone's book but this one does has a fabulous dreamy vibe to it and handles the alien stuff with great skill and restraint. Quite a beautiful ending too...

Second thing I saw was White Material, Claire Denis' 2009 film set in an unnamed African country about a French coffee plantation struggling to say afloat while a civil war between Government forces and armed rebels erupts around it. Brilliantly directed, flawlessly acted (incl a craggy looking Chistopher Lambert), this is a dark, dangerous and fascinating film, and in a strange way made for a fine double-bill with Monsters, both films have a suitlably apocalyptic mood. Highly recommended.