Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2000's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=555)
-   -   The Mist (2007) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2000s/594-mist-2007-a.html)

steve 20th July 2008 10:02 AM

The Mist (2007)

I finally got to watch The Mist at the cinema last night.

My local cinema was showing it at the ridiculous time of 11pm and only on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night so trying to get time to see it has been a real struggle. However last night I decided if I wanted to see this at the cinema I'd have to go then or miss it.

Anyway I loved the film and think it will rank up there as one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novella.

Strong performances.
Decent special effects.

There are some genuinely creepy moments and, surprisingly, plenty of moments that raise laughs too (with the audience laughing out loud).

The myriad of creatures is excellent, they are nasty.

The ending left me with mixed feelings...

Go see this film!

Angel 20th July 2008 10:06 AM

I wanted to see this but it seems to have been given a very limited release. Not at my local for a start.

steve 20th July 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 10330)
I wanted to see this but it seems to have been given a very limited release. Not at my local for a start.

I have two cinemas in my home town and only one was screening it. I don't understand why as the film has had good success in the US and has had excellent reviews all over the world.

Yet my local cinema will be screening Wall.E about sixty times a day! OK that's exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Philleh 20th July 2008 11:23 AM

The Mist is a brilliant movie - some iffy CGI aside - and one of the best American horror films in a long while! Plus it has Thomas Jane in the lead, how could anyone not want to see it??? :popcorn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 10333)
Yet my local cinema will be screening Wall.E about sixty times a day! OK that's exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Ha - having a Pixar movie being shown over and over again is a dream come true for me. I love their stuff.

If it was White Chicks, or any other Wayans Brothers movie, on the other hand... :ack:

mark meakin 20th July 2008 01:51 PM

Saw the dvd & thought it was one of the best King adaptions.The appearance of the first creature is spoiled by the ropey CGI (though the film had a surprisingly low budget) but the later creatures are well done & suitably nasty.

steve 20th July 2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 10337)
The Mist is a brilliant movie - some iffy CGI aside - and one of the best American horror films in a long while! Plus it has Thomas Jane in the lead, how could anyone not want to see it??? :popcorn:

Ha - having a Pixar movie being shown over and over again is a dream come true for me. I love their stuff.

If it was White Chicks, or any other Wayans Brothers movie, on the other hand... :ack:

I don't mind a Pixar film being screened so often as it has an audience (sometimes me included) but I just find it incredibly frustrating that other films are sidelined. Of course Pixar will make a trillion dollars so Vue and all the other chains will continue to please the majority.

I like Thomas (Tom) Jane, he's very commanding whenever he's on screen and completely watchable. Not sure why he isn't a major player???

steve 20th July 2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 10342)
Saw the dvd & thought it was one of the best King adaptions.The appearance of the first creature is spoiled by the ropey CGI (though the film had a surprisingly low budget) but the later creatures are well done & suitably nasty.

I'd read somewhere that the CGI had been 'tweaked' for the DVD? I agree that the first creature is a little poorly done but the rest are superb. What did you to think to the ending?

mark meakin 20th July 2008 02:32 PM

Not the Hollywood norm for sure !.I thought it was fine myself not wanting to give anything away for people who have yet to watch it.I thought Thomas Jane was great in The Punisher,Stander & Deep Blue Sea & I'm looking forward to the Mutant Chronicles which he also stars in.

Philleh 21st July 2008 05:54 AM

He was also in David Arquette's directorial debut - The Tripper. Which is actually very good! :)

I'm not sure why he isn't bigger, but I know he makes a lot of low-key movies, like Stander.

I didn't have a problem with the CGI really, you get caught up in the story so easily that it's promptly overlooked. The finale was cracking, as were the huge walking nasties! It was like Lovecraft had come to life.

Paul@TheOverlook 21st July 2008 08:20 AM

I saw this a few months ago, via the Region 1 disc. I thought it was great. Really quite brave for a mainstream flick and I'd definitely recommend it.

steve 21st July 2008 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=mark meakin;10350]Not the Hollywood norm for sure !.I thought it was fine myself not wanting to give anything away for people who have yet to watch it.QUOTE]

I also liked the ending, a real thought provoker.

I spoke to a friend who has also seen it and he was very disappointed as he found the religious aspects too in your face. I disagreed as I found those elements really exciting and he also disliked that there wasn't enough of the creatures. This is something I also disagreed with as I think there is just the right amount not to turn it into something over the top.

I really can't wait to see it again.

mark meakin 21st July 2008 05:54 PM

I hope the Momentum UK dvd release will be a 2-discer containing the B & W version.

steve 21st July 2008 06:11 PM

That would be a real treat. I think the US extras are excellent so I'm hoping we get the same treatment here.

Question: Does anyone know why some UK releases do not get the same extras some of the US releases get? Is it simply a financial reason?

mark meakin 21st July 2008 06:43 PM

I don't think it's always as simple as that.Rights issues may also be a problem in certain countries where a film is released.Films sometimes have different distributors in europe.

dougal 22nd July 2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 10457)
I disagreed as I found those elements really exciting and he also disliked that there wasn't enough of the creatures. This is something I also disagreed with as I think there is just the right amount not to turn it into something over the top.

Sounds pretty true to the original story in that case.

it'smebilly 22nd July 2008 09:07 PM

I am a big fan of this film. A Definately underrated film which deserved to do a lot better than it did, both here and in the US.

for me there were a number of parellels to "The Thing" the claustrophobic atmosphere for one, the brave climax to the film, though it isn't so much ambigious here as in "The Thing" and like that classic film I believe "The Mist" will find it's audience over the years. Let's hope so anyway.

bedorca 6th August 2008 07:36 PM

Oops Just started a Mist flick thread elsewhere and found this one

Will just nip off and delete it!! :blush:

Great Film BTW :woot:

steve 7th August 2008 08:45 PM

This film is still with me, it's really made an impact and I cannot wait to see it again.

It works so well for me because it isn't over long, over gory, over acted or anything else that is pre-fixed by the word over.

I like the exploration of the characters and think the casting is perfect.

I love this film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th August 2008 05:44 PM

Gonna watch this tonight....sounds good!

RobbieD 29th August 2008 11:21 AM

I saw this a couple of months ago and have the blu-ray in the post :D It's a great movie but the only thing I didn't like was the way the ending had been hyped up. I'd have enjoyed it a lot more had it come as a shock. It just came as a "was that it?" to me as I had been expecting a lot more, a real twist. Anyway I'm looking forward to watching it again with that in mind -I have no reason to feel let down this time. :popcorn:

Mansonsblood 15th September 2008 04:50 PM

I watched this a few weeks ago via the R1 disc and thought it was great. Solid performances, a terrific storyline and I thought the ending was terrific. I watched the black and white version as the directors preferred one but will watch the colour one soon as I enjoyed it that much I want to watch it again!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th September 2008 06:44 PM

Best King Adap in a LLLLOOONNNGGGGG time......

Daemonia 16th September 2008 02:23 PM

This was excellent - and I had the good fortune to go into this not knowing anything about the film, not even knowing it supposedly had an amazing ending, which it did! Boy, that ending left me in a state of shock. Brilliant, brilliant film. I've only watched the colour version so far, so I'll have to give the black and white version a spin sometime. Is it any different or just the same in monochrome?

mark meakin 2nd October 2008 02:12 PM

Great news for r2 fans of this great film.The directors cut was classified by thre BBFC as well.Hopefully not just for blu ray.

steve 16th October 2008 06:41 PM

Good news if it's the DVD release as I'm a Blu Ray virgin.

I have bored all my mates with how good this film is and how they should see it. It's my best film of 2008.

mark meakin 17th October 2008 01:50 PM

It's certainly in my Top ten of the year.

steve 11th November 2008 10:58 AM

It's finally here on DVD and the extras look great. I haven't got it yet but but can't wait to get me mits on it. And it has the B/W version too. Hurrah!!

TALL DUDE 11th November 2008 01:00 PM

That ending was a total jawdropper. One of those things that stays with you for days afterwards.

mark meakin 12th November 2008 08:33 AM

It's a shame the film did so badly at the box office as it's been so well received on dvd.:(.

viva la gore 13th November 2008 10:08 PM

I loved this one too. The Blu ray will be mint!

Nordicdusk 19th January 2015 08:32 PM

Which is the best version to watch the colour or the Black and White ?

Frankenhooker 19th January 2015 08:33 PM

I preferred the black and white version. It's more atmospheric and it masks some of the dodgy CGI.

Nordicdusk 19th January 2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 432187)
I preferred the black and white version. It's more atmospheric and it masks some of the dodgy CGI.

Cheers i have it sitting on the shelf for ages and my girlfriend keeps telling me to watch it but never mentioned it was both colour and black and white :rolleyes:.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th January 2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 432187)

Ditto.

I'm not a massive fan of the film at all really though.

Nordicdusk 19th January 2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 432192)
Ditto.

I'm not a massive fan of the film at all really though.

Im going in totally blind i have not even seen a trailer of the film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th January 2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 432199)
Im going in totally blind i have not even seen a trailer of the film.

Most horror fans I've come across seem to generally like it. The source material is pretty solid with it being King (although far from his best work) and Darabont is a capable director, however it just didn't do much for me.

Hopefully you will enjoy it though!

Nordicdusk 19th January 2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 432201)
Most horror fans I've come across seem to generally like it. The source material is pretty solid with it being King (although far from his best work) and Darabont is a capable director, however it just didn't do much for me.

Hopefully you will enjoy it though!

Im going to give it a watch in a while ill post what i think afterwards.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 432201)
it just didn't do much for me.

Me neither.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2015 09:54 PM

Now if you want a good horror set in a store...try Splinter. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th January 2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 432217)
Now if you want a good horror set in a store...try Splinter. :nod:

Seconded!