Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   So What Remake is Next? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10749-so-what-remake-next.html)

Invid Ninja 29th January 2015 09:49 PM

Point Break is one of the very best action films of the 90's I feel; because I'm weird and have a strange obsession with modern action remakes I will take the bullet on this 2015 iteration. XD

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 433769)
Point Break is one of the very best action films of the 90's I feel; because I'm weird and have a strange obsession with modern action remakes I will take the bullet on this 2015 iteration. XD

The original had Swayze at his peak fame and Reeves at one of his peaks.

There's only Winstone that i've heard of and he's no guarantee it'll be any good.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 401849)
All them in my Opinion

Planet of the apes ..Terrible

Alice in Wonderland not very good but watchable.

Willie wonka and the choclate factory ..

sweeney todd would have been ok if pratically every word wasnt sung.

To be honest, I haven't seen the Planet of the Apes remake, don't really consider Alice in Wonderland to be a remake – it's more of a new adaptation of the source material, seen with Sweeney Todd, which is an adaptation of a stage play rather than a remake (I thought it was excellent).

Is this new Ghostbusters film a remake or the completely new film? Either way, I think it's a terrible idea.

MacBlayne 30th January 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 433893)
To be honest, I haven't seen the Planet of the Apes remake, don't really consider Alice in Wonderland to be a remake – it's more of a new adaptation of the source material, seen with Sweeney Todd, which is an adaptation of a stage play rather than a remake (I thought it was excellent).

Is this new Ghostbusters film a remake or the completely new film? Either way, I think it's a terrible idea.

In Empire, Paul Feig says it's a remake as he felt a sequel would be disrespectful.

Now, I'm not sure whether he meant that he wants to create a new timeline with new characters so that fans of the original don't feel robbed or that he is that type of Hollywood scumbag who tries to disguise remakes as something original.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 433914)
In Empire, Paul Feig says it's a remake as he felt a sequel would be disrespectful.

Now, I'm not sure whether he meant that he wants to create a new timeline with new characters so that fans of the original don't feel robbed or that he is that type of Hollywood scumbag who tries to disguise remakes as something original.

I know Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd have both 'given their blessing' to the project, but with Paul Feig directing and two known actors (but SNL stalwarts) amongst the main cast, not to mention the original film being a beloved film amongst many, I will take a lot of convincing about whether it's worth my time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2015 06:52 PM

With a different (better) all female cast this could have been something to look forward to.

As an example four actresses who can all do quirky - Tina Fey, Cameron Diaz, Mira Sorvino and Alfre Woodard.

Then i would have been interested.

MacBlayne 30th January 2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 433923)
I know Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd have both 'given their blessing' to the project, but with Paul Feig directing and two known actors (but SNL stalwarts) amongst the main cast, not to mention the original film being a beloved film amongst many, I will take a lot of convincing about whether it's worth my time.

I wasn't even interested when Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan were going to do it.

But, to be honest, Feig's "let's make them all female" does sound gimmicky. I find him to be a rather bland filmmaker that covers his deficiencies by employing female comedians as "look, I'm progressive!"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 433926)
With a different (better) all female cast this could have been something to look forward to.

As an example four actresses who can all do quirky - Tina Fey, Cameron Diaz, Mira Sorvino and Alfre Woodard.

Then i would have been interested.

Good point. I suppose other naturally comedic actresses like Mila Kunis, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Emma stone or even Jennifer Lawrence would elevate the project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 433927)
I wasn't even interested when Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan were going to do it.

But, to be honest, Feig's "let's make them all female" does sound gimmicky. I find him to be a rather bland filmmaker that covers his deficiencies by employing female comedians as "look, I'm progressive!"

I completely agree. Bridesmaids was basically a female version of The Hangover, albeit one which wasn't completely offensive.

MacBlayne 30th January 2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 433932)
Good point. I suppose other naturally comedic actresses like Mila Kunis, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Emma stone or even Jennifer Lawrence would elevate the project.

I completely agree. Bridesmaids was basically a female version of The Hangover, albeit one which wasn't completely offensive.

I hated both Bridesmaids and The Hangover with a passion. Just a bunch of morons screaming and getting drunk.

I was able to tolerate The Heat simply because Sandra Bullock is a good comic actress. As for Melissa McCarthy... :ack: I do not get her appeal. Even in The Gilmore Girls (yes, I admit it - I watched it and I laughed) she was deeply grating.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 433933)
I hated both Bridesmaids and The Hangover with a passion. Just a bunch of morons screaming and getting drunk.

I was able to tolerate The Heat simply because Sandra Bullock is a good comic actress. As for Melissa McCarthy... :ack: I do not get her appeal. Even in The Gilmore Girls (yes, I admit it - I watched it and I laughed) she was deeply grating.

I forgot to mention Sandra Bullock, who is really good in comedic roles (Miss Congeniality, for example). As for Melissa McCarthy, give me Rebel Wilson, who was brilliant in Pitch Perfect – Anna Kendrick also has great comedic timing.