Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   fave,worst and most wanted remake (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/11348-fave-worst-most-wanted-remake.html)

dis 3rd September 2013 06:39 PM

fave,worst and most wanted remake

hi guys,dont think this thread exists so here goes{sorry if it does}.

think the title says it all,but which horror remake was your favourite,worst and what would you like to see remade next,if any?

for me my favourite would be,if not exactly a remake "the thing",with "tcm"second.
the worst or film i most disliked was "THE EVIL DEAD"!
i think jaws may be a good remake,but think i would like to see a remake of "HOTEOTP",MAY BE INTERESTING ESPECIALLY AFTER evil dead,isoyg AND lhotl?
so,how about you lot?

trebor8273 3rd September 2013 06:46 PM

Complete opposite thought evil dead was good and the thing(new one not capterners)
was awful. But maniac remake is amazing and in someways better than the orginal.

Invid Ninja 3rd September 2013 06:49 PM

Interesting topic, I have to admit I'm one of those film guys who tends to lump the words remake, re-imagining, reboot and other terms together as they are essentially derived from the description of re-adaptation anyway. For the sake of clarity with regards to films I just tend to use the word 'remake'. :)

Anyway my picks:

Favourite: The Thing (1982) Hands down, my favourite horror film.

Least Favourite: Evil Dead (2013) Bear in mind, I've avoided most horror remakes so for me the ones which people particularly hate I've never seen. Saying that while I don't think it's a poor film, this one left me somewhat cold right after seeing it at the cinema. I'm considering a re watch though when it's dirt cheap.

Most Wanted: The Keep (1983) Part of me would be fascinated by a modern take on either the original novel or Mann's vision of the story. If anything it could be used as an excuse to bring the film out on Blu Ray at last. :D

Wes 3rd September 2013 06:50 PM

Great thread...

Aside from The Thing (which is Top10 material remake or not), favourite recent remakes include Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hills Have Eyes, two films far better than they had any right to be...

I absolutely hated Friday the 13th. Hated...

As for a film I'd like to see remade, I'm gonna have to ponder that one, but it's a great question... Hmm...let's see...

dis 3rd September 2013 07:04 PM

hi guys,i own "maniac",but did not realise they had remade it!
must look out for this one.
oh forgot,would "the burning",or "haute tension" be good remake material,or would it just be cashing in on a class film or two?

Wes 3rd September 2013 07:21 PM

I can't say about High Tension, but I'm not sure The Burning would make for good material - that the original film was so good (at least I think so) was a complete fluke, just a case of all the right elements lining up to turn an otherwise mediocre screenplay into something really memorable...

Can I just take off my Horror hat for a sec and say Michael Mann's Heat is an incredible remake of the film's earlier draft, LA Takedown...

dis 3rd September 2013 07:34 PM

yeah,the burning is a class film,just thinking its such a class film does it deserve a remake like the evil dead?
evil dead is class,but i think the remake was just cashing in on a class film but failed,which in turn makes the original even better,at least for us who can remember when you could get the uncut film in the video shops on vhs or even beta max!
you not seen haute tension?!

Rik 3rd September 2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 363295)
The Burning would make for good material - that the original film was so good (at least I think so) was a complete fluke

...purely because of Tom Savini, same goes for Friday the 13th and Prowler, these films would have been forgotten about slashers without Savini's bag of tricks IMO

dis 3rd September 2013 07:39 PM

ah,the prowler or rosemarys killer as i remember back in the 80s!
must revisit this slasher.
think this will be remade at sometime!?

trebor8273 3rd September 2013 07:39 PM

Fav. Maniac

Worst. Friday the 13th

Most wanted. Have to agree on the keep. Also would be nice to see what barker could to with more money and free reign with nightbreed

dis 3rd September 2013 07:44 PM

poll needed?

Wes 3rd September 2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 363304)
Most wanted. Have to agree on the keep.

I sound like a broken record cos I've mentioned it a few times here recently, but there's a whole other movie contained within The Keep novel. Michael Mann what were you thinking ?

trebor8273 3rd September 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 363308)
I sound like a broken record cos I've mentioned it a few times here recently, but there's a whole other movie contained within The Keep novel. Michael Mann what were you thinking ?

Agree I should of said make it closer to the book which I love I read it once or twice a year.

digitopolis 17th January 2014 02:25 AM

Favourite: The Ring (2002), I saw it before the original Japanese version and I actually think they're both equally good for different reasons. I loved The Ring's atmosphere and found it scarier while Ringu was more intriguing with its mythos and culture (e.g. the sea seems to play a major role in its own way).

Worst: I can't remember which remakes I've seen but I didn't like The Uninvited (2009). I didn't hate it but it felt really PG-13. The music is really nice though, Christopher Young is a genius.

Most Wanted: I kinda wish the Suspiria remake went through if only because I have a morbid curiosity.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th January 2014 02:53 AM

A few favourites: The Fly (1986), The Thing (1982), Maniac (2012).

Worst: The Fog remake is probably one of the worst that I've seen, but there are many other very poorly executed (and seemingly pointless) remakes out there. I tend to avoid most remakes now though due to my general experience of how they are usually handled.

Most wanted: Difficult to say, but The Running Man springs immediately to mind. I'd love to see someone remake this more in line with the serious, more dark source material.

Handyman Joe 17th January 2014 06:44 AM

The Let the Right One In remake was pretty good as was Finchers Dragon Tattoo. Hills Have Eyes I loved at the cinema but strangely I haven't watched it since. MBV was fun.

Bad - tough as I've actively avoided the majority of these. Halloween - saw that and hated all this psychological bullshit - Myers is evil behind a mask. End of story, the more you know the less scary he becomes. Ditto Friday the 13th.

Remake possibilities - I'm disappointed the proposed French Hellraiser didn't go through - it's looking a little dated and the sequels have stunk the joint out - a brutal remake about a libertine summoning demons he can't control could be good, as long as it didn't feature a bunch of MTV dweebs with six packs and fake tits.

Hawkmonger 17th January 2014 06:57 AM

Dont Look Now directed by Uwe Boll. :lol:

gag 17th January 2014 08:24 AM

Not sure really because there is loads of terrible remakes ..

Children of the corn definatly by far a awful remake
Havent liked any Japanese horror remake..

SymbioticFunction 3rd January 2017 03:13 PM

Favourite: John Carpenter's The Thing

Worst: Day of the Dead (2008)

Most wanted: I think that the suggestion of The Keep was spot-on. I would love to see that. :nod:

Rik 3rd January 2017 03:27 PM

I don't class Day of the Dead as a remake, it bares little resemblance to Romero's film, still shite mind :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 515671)
I don't class Day of the Dead as a remake, it bares little resemblance to Romero's film, still shite mind :lol:

I really didn't mind it. Should have a different title though.

Markk 8th January 2017 07:44 AM

I'd love to see The Exorcist being remade..

Rik 8th January 2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 516217)

Can't see that happening, the recent (excellent) TV series is the closest we'll get I think :nod:

gag 8th January 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 516217)

Why we moan about remakes as it, and if they did we mostly likely complain about that and how shit itl be

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 387745)
Dont Look Now directed by Uwe Boll. :lol:

He has remade it.
You not seen the trailer?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th January 2017 12:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOm5Wgj4XY

Frankenhooker 8th January 2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 516234)
Why we moan about remakes as it, and if they did we mostly likely complain about that and how shit itl be

I've never complained about remakes, I don't really understand why people do. Remaking a film doesn't eradicate the original. Don't like them, don't watch them.

The faux outrage over remaking films is absurd. I love The Exorcist but they could remake the hell out of it, I'd still have the original on my shelf.

gag 8th January 2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 516268)
I've never complained about remakes, I don't really understand why people do. Remaking a film doesn't eradicate the original. Don't like them, don't watch them.

The faux outrage over remaking films is absurd. I love The Exorcist but they could remake the hell out of it, I'd still have the original on my shelf.

I suppose its probably to do with film industry not coming up with much new, different, or fresh, and more to do with feels like their remaking whole entire film in history, rebooting it, sequels, tv shows etc, same with constantly being overkill on superhero crap. And it feels like thats all the film industry seems to be doing these days
A change is a good as rest and less is more, to much of a good thing eventualy you go of it get bored or fed up of it, odd remake sequel etc is ok now and again but if there no real thought into the film with no real story, character building, tension, atmosphere or what ever makes a film, then whats the point. I like the new Nightmare on elm st, and children of the corn remake, said no one ever...film industry is like music its gone so bad and awful your getting to point you actualy enjoying something shit because their nowt else much better on offer, thats shy we keep going back to all old stuff

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 516276)
film industry is like music its gone so bad and awful your getting to point you actualy enjoying something shit because their nowt else much better on offer, thats shy we keep going back to all old stuff

What sort of music do you like, gag?

gag 8th January 2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516277)
What sort of music do you like, gag?

A bit of everything, just not into a lot of todays music, (c) rap r&b and anything thats in that direction, like rock music from 70s when rock was proper rock, a lot of todays music is aimed literally at kids, dont get me wrong there is some good music but aint going to find most of it on your basic stations , and radio one is awful now. Cant stand music where sounds like u just making noises grunting and shouting you're left wondering if their singing any words, i like a lot of dance when dance was real dance and not just a noise, some of my all time fav groups are Big country, The The, ive seen over 50bands groups etc.
Inxs, blur, manics, muse, prodigy, deep purple, jean michelle jarre, gorrilaz, meat loaf, chemical brothers are just a few ive seen. Most main stream radio stations just cater the same music and same handfull of song and top 40, half of the time some of the best song dont make the top 40, or its all manufactured from x factor and shows like that, matt cardle, james arthur and making people like honey g or what ever she called that have absolutely no talent, into household names, how famous one direction are is equivalent to how famous Beatles where in their day (not music) and if thats the style of people and talent that are that big then really there just isnt much hope.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 516289)
A bit of everything, just not into a lot of todays music, (c) rap r&b and anything thats in that direction, like rock music from 70s when rock was proper rock, a lot of todays music is aimed literally at kids, dont get me wrong there is some good music but aint going to find most of it on your basic stations , and radio one is awful now. Cant stand music where sounds like u just making noises grunting and shouting you're left wondering if their singing any words, i like a lot of dance when dance was real dance and not just a noise, some of my all time fav groups are Big country, The The, ive seen over 50bands groups etc.
Inxs, blur, manics, muse, prodigy, deep purple, jean michelle jarre, gorrilaz, meat loaf, chemical brothers are just a few ive seen. Most main stream radio stations just cater the music and handfull of song and top 40, half of the time some of the best song dont make the top 40, or its all manufactured from x factor and shows like that, matt cardle, james arthur and making people like honey g or what ever she called that have absolutely no tale talent, into household names, how famous one direction are is equivalent to the Beatles in their day (not music) and if thats the style of people and talent that are that big then really there just isnt much hope.

Yes there is. There are loads of excellent new rock bands about. Why do you listen to commercial radio? I don't think i've ever heard music by James Arthur, Matt Cardle or One Direction.

Get away from the music for the masses and explore.

gag 8th January 2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516290)
Yes there is. There are loads of excellent new rock bands about. Why do you listen to commercial radio? I don't think i've ever heard music by James Arthur, Matt Cardle or One Direction.

Get away from the music for the masses and explore.

Tbh i very rarely put radio on, either out, watching films, playing ps3 etc or on net, its the people im around or places i go into that have these stations on. Do you serious think i listen to stations that play that tut tut tut.. So guess thats why im missing out so much, what stations would you recommend?

Rik 8th January 2017 06:15 PM

Only time I listen to the radio is when I'm in my girlfriends car and she's listening to C(r)apital FM, and also me complaining about the shite music they play!
Best way I've found for discovering new bands/bands I've never listened to before is the rock and metal playlists on Spotify :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 516291)
Tbh i very rarely put radio on, either out, watching films, playing ps3 etc or on net, its the people im around or places i go into that have these stations on. Do you serious think i listen to stations that play that tut tut tut.. So guess thats why im missing out so much, what stations would you recommend?

I don't listen to music radio at all. Being a rock fan i have my sources and news sites etc.

I watch a lot of videos via Blabbermouth and then Youtube from labels like Nuclear Blast and Roadrunner. Then it just escalates and i forget what i intended to listen to / buy.

If you like classic rock bands then you could do a lot worse than checking out Rival Sons and Blackstone Cherry.

The good thing for me is that the bands i loved in the 80's and 90's are still making music that is often still relevant today.

gag 8th January 2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516293)
I don't listen to music radio at all. Being a rock fan i have my sources and news sites etc.

Ok cheers, maybe someone can recommend me some, sure there bound to be some out there even if u can only stream on internet

Rik 8th January 2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516293)

If you like classic rock bands then you could do a lot worse than checking out Rival Sons and Blackstone Cherry.

Agreed, a pair of excellent bands :nod:

Vampix 23rd March 2017 08:21 PM

I recently dug out my Valley of Gwangi DVD for a watch, and thought this would be a great little flick to remake with state of the art special FX Ã* la Kong: Skull Island. Of course, the original Ray Harryhausen stop motion FX would always retain a special place in my heart though. :)

gag 23rd March 2017 09:17 PM

Just my opinion but I tend to find when they do a TV series of a film most get good or OK reviews ,
But when they do a film version of old tv series it tends to be awful.
Take film of chips its been turned into a comedy why ? It wasn't a comedy .
Odd remake here and there fine .
Take Death race 2050 I can't decide if I liked of or not ,yes it kinda stuck to original in many ways , CGI and special effects could of been a lot better , yes I'm also aware it meant to be a cheese fest film but a times I felt it was a tadge to cheesy and could have been a bit better made , it felt like in some ways a bit amateurish, i dont know why but one thing I can't be doing in films no matter what, Is women with stupid high pitched squeeky voices it irritates me. And Ott daft costumes eg someone wearing a hat that so big you could get 5 standing underneath if it where to rain .. Stupid I know but it niggles me and puts me of a bit. But overall it was a pretty decent(ish) remake

Some remake I don't understand others I do eg if the film is really old dated corny etc and could do with a updated version .. But to me certain films you just cannot remake IMO, suspiria and videodrome ,what videodrome going to e called now ?

I've tried new planet of the ape remakes not saying their rubbish but I just couldn't get Into them.
Not sure what I would like remade tho .

Demoncrat 29th March 2017 12:07 AM

Anyone here ever heard the 'remade' Hancock radio stuff?
It
isn't
great. Much in common with the TV version with Paul Merton, it just misses the point. Why they thought that it would be different??:confused:
The pennypinching BBC 'lost' some of his stuff as well ... so try and make up for that with this flimsy charade.

Ahem.

bleakshaun 1st April 2017 01:29 PM

fave remake - house on haunted hill
worst remake - ghost ship
most wanted - dick tracy