Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Pointless Remake #7943 - I Spit on Your Grave - Discussion (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2822-pointless-remake-7943-i-spit-your-grave-discussion.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 08:07 AM

Pointless Remake #7943 - I Spit on Your Grave - Discussion

It looks as if it's been given the Saw/Hostel treatment, if this trailer is anything to go by.

I know the answer is quite obviously 'money', but why remake these movies?

vincenzo 6th May 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77747)
I know the answer is quite obviously 'money', but why remake these movies?

To cater for the easily pleased, and because Hollywood simply has nothing better to do. :ohwell:

Peter Neal 6th May 2010 11:50 AM

A bit early to write this one off as nobody has reviewed the full feature yet- but as with most recent remakes, it'll be a case of "If it's good, all the better; if it's bad, the original will be still with us anyway".:o

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:52 AM

Too be honest I can't stand the original, so I doubt I'll go out of my way to see the remake. Although, I will be interested in reading the reviews on release. ;)

Gojirosan 6th May 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 77778)
as with most recent remakes, it'll be a case of "If it's good, all the better; if it's bad, the original will be still with us anyway".:o

Gosh! That's very generous of you! I cannot see it like that. I see a bad remake as dirtying the original. Whenever I am talking to someone and I have to specify which version of The Wicker Man or Dawn Of The Dead I mean I die a little inside.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:59 AM

I haven't got much hope for this remake to be honest. Then again, I always say, you can never judge a film until you've actually seen it!

But as for the original, sorry BE, but I LUV the original. It's a great film, especially the uncut version. One of my fav video nasties (mind you, I do also luv Faces Of Death :laugh: and I know a lot of people think that film is crap!). Each to their own.

It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what they'll do about the rape. I really doubt that it'll be soo predominant and as disturbing as the original. But we'll see.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77783)
Whenever I am talking to someone and I have to specify which version of The Wicker Man or Dawn Of The Dead I mean I die a little inside.

:pound:

There is only one Wicker Man! :mmph: :mob:

vincenzo 6th May 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 77783)
I see a bad remake as dirtying the original.

Fully agree with you. To remake a film like this (which wasn't any good anyway) reeks of desperation and seems designed mainly for people who would prefer to see literally anything remade, rather than studios coming up with fresh ideas.

Originality seems to be on its last legs these days.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2010 12:28 PM

It is a really bizarre title to remake though as the original was so controversial, disturbing and horrific. I can understand remaking slasher movies (Prom Night, Halloween, When a Stranger Calls etc.) as they can appeal to a wide audience, just as the originals did, but I Spit on Your Grave?

The only people who have heard of this will be those who've seen it and either love the original (so don't want to watch a remake) or hate the original (so don't want to see a remake).

As utterly pointless films go, this one is right up at the top of the list.

vincenzo 6th May 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 77802)
The only people who have heard of this will be those who've seen it and either love the original (so don't want to watch a remake) or hate the original (so don't want to see a remake).

I'll go along with that. :nod: