Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   I Spit on Your Grave (2010) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/4233-i-spit-your-grave-2010-a.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 17th December 2010 01:17 PM

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

A repository for my I Spit on Your Grave writing over the next few weeks. Feel free to comment on anything I write here or on the blog post.

This week, I've asked some questions about the nature of remakes, read it here...

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE: When Remakes Actually Work.

Sam@Cult Labs 22nd December 2010 04:47 PM

Three announcements today.

Firstly, check the sleeve poll thread in this sub-forum to find out who won a free DVD or Blu-ray of the movie.

Secondly, There's a new I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE POST on the Cult Labs blog. Some more thoughts on controversy in cinema and how the choice of title for a film can buy a lot of notoriety.

Finally, the theatrical quad poster for the upcoming cinema release has been changed so here's the new look artwork:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...tnewquad-1.jpg

J.R. 22nd December 2010 06:17 PM

I am a huge fan of the original, and even got the opportunity to review it for an Australian site: here is a link for it I Spit On Your Grave Review and recently picked up an original daybill and am looking forward to seeing the remake... and want that remake poster desperately!!!

Sam@Cult Labs 6th January 2011 05:45 PM

Thanks for posting. Good news on that original poster, one of those images that never goes away and caused such trouble in the early 80s in the UK.

Here's a blog post I wrote on why extreme violence has a place in cinema: CLICK

Any thoughts on what I wrote are welcome...

Sam@Cult Labs 12th January 2011 06:02 PM

Here's a blog on the cast and director: CLICK

nekromantik 12th January 2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 120330)
Thanks for posting. Good news on that original poster, one of those images that never goes away and caused such trouble in the early 80s in the UK.

Here's a blog post I wrote on why extreme violence has a place in cinema: CLICK

Any thoughts on what I wrote are welcome...

good read :)
well written too.
I agree on what you said about wanting to experience extreme thrills safely and thats what horror gives us just like we go roller coasters to have thrills.

Sam@Cult Labs 13th January 2011 09:29 AM

I think it goes back to primal fight or flight reflexes.

The modern world is safe and mediated and we are infantilized as a result. Extreme cinema appeals to really corners of the psyche that we are all meant to suppress for the greater good.

nekromantik 13th January 2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 121575)
I think it goes back to primal fight or flight reflexes.

The modern world is safe and mediated and we are infantilized as a result. Extreme cinema appeals to really corners of the psyche that we are all meant to suppress for the greater good.

while that is very true, there are still a lot of messed up people in the world who may not even watch extreme horror :lol:
which is why people consider extreme horror dangerous.
not that I agree obviously :lol:

Sam@Cult Labs 19th January 2011 12:31 PM

Interesting look at the sexual politics behind I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, both in it's original and remake guises, from THE GUARDIAN

MECHAGODPHILLA 19th January 2011 12:57 PM

Anyone seen this yet? If so, what's the verdict?

GoreFreak91 19th January 2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 121599)
while that is very true, there are still a lot of messed up people in the world who may not even watch extreme horror :lol:
which is why people consider extreme horror dangerous.
not that I agree obviously :lol:

Somtimes a few unstable People will watch a violent Film, or a violent Game and take Inspiration from that. What annoys though is when the Bs Media blame Societys Problems on Films or Games.

Sam@Cult Labs 19th January 2011 03:54 PM

I've said it before...

We should ban American Presidents in case some other nutjob wants to impress Jodie Foster and also ban any future Jill Dando's, in case they inspire stalkers to murder.

Essentially, if the media puts it out, someone will get obsessed with it. In general, for most people, horror and extreme cinema is a safety valve in an unfriendly world.

Censorship isn't about suppressing the film itself, it's about supressing the population. I'll never agree with it, despite the fact that working on a film like this troubles me.

Put it this way, this film is really good, I can't recommend it enough but it doesn't mean I'm going to return to it on a daily basis.

I think it's about balance of consumption. People who only watch safe, unchallenging fluff are escapist. People who only watch the very worst, nasty stuff need to open their minds to other forms of art because I'm not sure a pure diet of XXX rated sexual violence is all that healthy.

However, if, like me, you enjoyed both I Spit on Your Grave, A Serbian Film and also Mary Poppins and Groundhog Day, then I don't think society has much to fear from you...

Sam@Cult Labs 19th January 2011 04:08 PM

The Cult Labs Youtube channel has a brace of ISYG clips. This blog highlights my favourite. The lull before in inevitable vengeance...

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE: DAY OF THE WOMAN

JoeTerror 24th January 2011 08:00 PM

I hope this is better then "Last House on the Left" which I liked up until the very end. Wish I could cut out that last 10 min of that one!

nekromantik 24th January 2011 08:22 PM

I quite enjoyed Last House remake and think this is just as good as far as remakes go BUT the ending for I Spit is better then the Last House remake.

gag 27th January 2011 12:10 PM

I do watch some remakes, But any remakes of a Jap horror i detest them and on any account dont watch them, Some remakes i avoid like the plague, But the reason y I Spit On your grave, Last House on the left, etc remakes dont work to well is because the Originals are badly acted, badly made, low budget, indipendant, and not comercalised, And that is part of the reason y the originals work better, I am undecided on watching remake of I spit until ive heard more ppl opinions on here..

MECHAGODPHILLA 27th January 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 124459)
...remakes dont work to well is because the Originals are badly acted, badly made, low budget, indipendant, and not comercalised...

I've got to agree ~ plus each era of film has a certain charm. But, I'll be going to see it ~ and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

:pop2:

Demoncrat 27th January 2011 12:46 PM

hi, first time on this site...having watched this "film" recently (107 minutes)
il say this...MARTYRS was superior...and im a "fan" of the original (amazing commentary, which does put new spin on it i feel). SNUFF 102 far worse by a country mile...

gag 27th January 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 124465)
hi, first time on this site...having watched this "film" recently (107 minutes)
il say this...MARTYRS was superior...and im a "fan" of the original (amazing commentary, which does put new spin on it i feel). SNUFF 102 far worse by a country mile...

Hi Hamish

Welcome to the site,

Sam@Cult Labs 27th January 2011 05:28 PM

Welcome Hamish!

Here's a new clip blog featuring a creepy calm before the storm moment: CLICK

pedromonkey 1st February 2011 10:36 PM

ok just watched it and the bbfc state that it was passed with no cuts on 06/12/10 on video but on 25/08/10 it had a total of 17 cuts totalling 43secs at a run time of 107mins 45sec. But the version i just watched was 103 minutes so surely that 4 minutes removed. im confused....good film though and the Sheriff is from my neck of the woods...cardiff..

nekromantik 1st February 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 125662)
ok just watched it and the bbfc state that it was passed with no cuts on 06/12/10 on video but on 25/08/10 it had a total of 17 cuts totalling 43secs at a run time of 107mins 45sec. But the version i just watched was 103 minutes so surely that 4 minutes removed. im confused....good film though and the Sheriff is from my neck of the woods...cardiff..

yes pedro its still missing 45 secs as they probs sent a pre cut version for video release. Did you watch it on DVD? if so then thats PAL speedup time difference.

pedromonkey 1st February 2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 125664)
yes pedro its still missing 45 secs as they probs sent a pre cut version for video release. Did you watch it on DVD? if so then thats PAL speedup time difference.

i watched it on Blu-ray nek, got an early rental copy from work, to be honest i can't see where they could have cut the 45secs as the film is pretty brutal and full on for a good 40 minutes..

nekromantik 1st February 2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 125667)
i watched it on Blu-ray nek, got an early rental copy from work, to be honest i can't see where they could have cut the 45secs as the film is pretty brutal and full on for a good 40 minutes..

they only cut sexul violence and nothing in the revenge section.
I just had a look and ye the video version is listed at 103 and cinema 107 which makes sense for PAL speedup but if yours was a blu then thats a bit odd. maybe the FPS was altered.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 125667)

I watched it on Monday night and was surprised just how brutal and intense the whole rape scene was. It is an unrelenting assault on the viewer and possibly even more intense than the original because of the score and HD surround sound.

Sam@Cult Labs 2nd February 2011 12:40 PM

New blog / packshot

Small towns can breed small minds, especially, according to the rules of the American Grindhouse, if you live anywhere a bit swampy. Discuss.

Not really. Here's a post I wrote on one scene from the movie (so beware spoilers) were peer pressure and dead end boredom combine into a potentially violent and perverse brew

ISYG: GANG MENTALITY

Also...

BLU-RAY PACK SHOT:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ve_abb8024.jpg

Demoncrat 2nd February 2011 12:48 PM

thanks for the welcome folks....

MECHAGODPHILLA 2nd February 2011 01:45 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question? But, have I missed the cinema release of this?

nekromantik 2nd February 2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 125689)
I watched it on Monday night and was surprised just how brutal and intense the whole rape scene was. It is an unrelenting assault on the viewer and possibly even more intense than the original because of the score and HD surround sound.

Tbh I thought the originals rape scene was far worse.
The remake however does go all out on the revenge section although when it dont actully show the castration and the final death its a bit of a cop out as its meant to be brutal.

gag 2nd February 2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 125773)
The remake however does go all out on the revenge section although when it dont actully show the castration and the final death its a bit of a cop out as its meant to be brutal.

I decided to watch the remake. even tho i was against watching it
It was ok but didnt realy do much for me in the long run,
Bit dull boring and bland a lot of hype over nothing realy,

nekromantik 2nd February 2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 125775)
I decided to watch the remake. even tho i was against watching it
It was ok but didnt realy do much for me in the long run,
Bit dull boring and bland a lot of hype over nothing realy,

i liked it but it was over hyped.
Im still not sure why I have got it on order from amazon :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MECHAGODPHILLA (Post 125770)
Sorry if this is a stupid question? But, have I missed the cinema release of this?

I imagine that the theatrical release was so limited that you would have been extremely lucky to watch it at the cinema - it didn't come anywhere near me to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 125773)

In hindsight, I suppose the cut to black parts of the rape section detracted from the ordeal but the part with Matthew was more harrowing than in the original even though the 'comedy' made it worse.

Even though I have the BD (though not the complete package), I'm still keeping the US version pre-ordered as I want to see the revenge part of the rape-revenge uncut. In terms of the castration, some things work better in the imagination!

pedromonkey 2nd February 2011 04:46 PM

i hated the original, i found it farcical with some of the characters but really enjoyed the remake, in all honesty i found it harder to watch than serbian film because the performances were so realistic and brutal that it was very shocking, fair do's to the cast for what they did.

nekromantik 2nd February 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 125790)
I imagine that the theatrical release was so limited that you would have been extremely lucky to watch it at the cinema - it didn't come anywhere near me to the best of my knowledge.

In hindsight, I suppose the cut to black parts of the rape section detracted from the ordeal but the part with Matthew was more harrowing than in the original even though the 'comedy' made it worse.

Even though I have the BD (though not the complete package), I'm still keeping the US version pre-ordered as I want to see the revenge part of the rape-revenge uncut. In terms of the castration, some things work better in the imagination!

hmm
maybe your right about the castration :lol:
might be a lil too morbid me thinks :laugh:

MECHAGODPHILLA 2nd February 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 125790)

Bah! :doh: Thanks for the info matey.

vipco 3rd February 2011 02:08 PM

Does anyone know if the UK double film BluRay release of ISOYG Remake and ISOYG Original contain the same version of the original cut that 101 films released on BD in 2010 .?

nekromantik 3rd February 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 126018)
Does anyone know if the UK double film BluRay release of ISOYG Remake and ISOYG Original contain the same version of the original cut that 101 films released on BD in 2010 .?

yes as far as im aware there has only been 1 blu release of I spit original so doubt they would create a new release just for double set.

vipco 3rd February 2011 05:49 PM

I was wondering that as its not a 101 release (Remake) then maybe the original was resubmitted to the BBFC and a longer version was approved. ?

HD copies on BD of the ISOYG remake are sadly being sold up at a local market I go to. I wouldn't buy any though.

nekromantik 3rd February 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 126070)
I was wondering that as its not a 101 release (Remake) then maybe the original was resubmitted to the BBFC and a longer version was approved. ?

HD copies on BD of the ISOYG remake are sadly being sold up at a local market I go to. I wouldn't buy any though.

nope
bbfc only list the 101 release.
Like I said before its not very likely that they would spend money on re-submitting it 6 months later.

Andydn 5th February 2011 11:07 AM

Stick with the original

love the original, best thing about the remake is the poster!! Movie just doesnt work at all in my opinion.