Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Berberian Sound Studio (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9974-berberian-sound-studio-2012-a.html)

Delirium 19th November 2012 12:34 PM

Berberian Sound Studio is just fantastic. One of my films of the year in fact. It's beautifully directed, indeed celebrating the sensory excesses of Italian horror/giallo cinema as Sam points out. I too loved Strickland's Katalin Varga, and like that film Strickland hints at something very, very sinister, just lurking off screen in the shadows, amidst the fetishistic confines of the sound studio where Toby Jones' wispy sound engineer toils away. And it's incredible how much violence is conjured up through the sound of squishing vegetables (it was no surprise to find that Strickland's a veggie.) Other than the impressive credit sequence, we never do get to see the film footage - incredible.

Less abstract than the (also terrific) Amer, but equally sensory, genre fans should love it.

Sam@Cult Labs 19th November 2012 12:36 PM

Summed it up brilliantly, thanks for that.

Amer was great, I think this is more accessible though.

The Title sequence is a real standout.

PaulD 19th November 2012 12:42 PM

Yes!

So glad Cult Labs are promoting this. I saw this at the cinema and although I am still slightly undecided on it as I feel that I kind of got away from the film as it approached the ending I really want to see it again, in the same way I needed to see Mulholland Drive again after watching it for the first time.

There was definitely a lot in the film that made me want to watch it a second time anyway especially the use of sound and the opening sequence of The Equestrian Vortex

Sam@Cult Labs 19th November 2012 12:44 PM

The film almost demands repeated viewing. I'm sure I'll see it a few more times while I'm working with it.

The kind of movie that makes the job feel worthwhile.

PaulD 19th November 2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 293591)
The film almost demands repeated viewing. I'm sure I'll see it a few more times while I'm working with it.

The kind of movie that makes the job feel worthwhile.

Yeah.

I really like your point about it being a companion piece of sorts to Amer which, while still used existing gialli soundtracks, was very much a visual film in the same way that BSS is an aural one. Would make an interesting double bill for gialli aficionados.

Sam@Cult Labs 19th November 2012 12:48 PM

...And finish off with the recent Mark Gatiss' Euro Horror doc for a fine evening.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th November 2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 293562)
This is a definite purchase for me.

I thought Strickland's Katalin Varga was a beautiful film, a revenge drama, but oh so much more than that. If Strickland can do with music what he did with the Transylvanian countryside in Katalin Varga then Berbarian Sound Studio should be something to behold.

I wrote a little on that film here. http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post234055

I have Katalin Varga on my rental list. I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th November 2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 293635)
I have Katalin Varga on my rental list. I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

I'm fairly sure you will like it.

SharonLynette 19th November 2012 10:43 PM

Was really hoping to see this in the cinema as it sounds fantastic unfortunately things got in the way. Well not long until its out now.

Delirium 20th November 2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 293854)
Was really hoping to see this in the cinema as it sounds fantastic unfortunately things got in the way. Well not long until its out now.

Something to look forward to. It's just a real shame the release date is set for Dec 31st, as I would have loved to watch this over Christmas. No matter, not long to wait, and it's an end of year 'must purchase'.