View Single Post
Old 8th December 2011, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
I really don't think that Arrow is the problem here. That much is obvious from the non-Italian releases. It seems pretty obvious that they are working with sources that are not in a great way to begin with and that can only be blamed on whoever is producing these masters.

The Wildside transfer is much better and I've seen both. Of course, Wildside produced their own master to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure if arrow had access to a print to produce a master, the results would be much better. Whether such a thing is possible, I don' know.

I have the Blue Underground Stendhal Syndrome and it's probably the worst Argento Blu I have seen and people hail this company. I'm sure they were in the same position as Arrow though. They could only do what they could with the materials on hand. I've seen plenty of reviews about the natural film grain on that release but it is NOT film grain. It's digital noise and that can only really be put down to the supplied master unless the encode was a disaster, which I don't think would be the case. This produces an interesting situation. All the reviewers who fall over themselves about this release and Blu Underground in general, either have no idea idea at all about encoded video or say what they think is the 'right' thing to say. Don't get me wrong though, B U produce good stuff in general.

It's a tricky situation for sure. I encode loads of video for my job and it's a bit of a minefield. Saying that, if the source material is good, it's much harder to produce a poorly encoded video than a good one.

Blu undergrounds stendahl was a tricky one, its better than the dvd's and loses the 'soft focus' look, the colors are better as well, but the weird fuzz is the same stuff that turns up on some of arrows stuff.

My own theory is that these transfers to blu ray are still a learning process, I also think some of the complaints are over the top, some people hate the torso blu-ray despite it being the best the film has looked (even better than shameless)