View Single Post
Old 25th December 2011, 12:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Night of the Demon

Directed by James C Wasson

A professor and a group of students go deep into the woods to investigate rumours of Bigfoot.

Its difficult to know where to start when saying a few words about Night of the Demon. In no way is it a good film, the acting is on the whole, not great, the script is perfunctory at best and the bigfoot creature looks like it could do with a bit of work from the costume department. The whole production is amateurish at best, however despite these obvious flaws, and in some cases because of them, the film is very entertaining.

Night of the Demon is best summed up as a gore movie and its here where the film excells itself. The effects are of a high standard and fare well in relation to most other gore films from the same era. Whilst not as impressive as the effects in Lucio Fulci's films (what are?) they still manage to produce some lovely gooey moments such as the films famed penis removal. As in all the best gore films the camera almost lovingly caresses each death shot allowing the viewer the full effect. Other bloody violent deaths of note include pitchforks, disembowelments, broken glass and axe, as well as Bigfoot swinging an unlucky camper through the air in a sleeping bag before crashing them into a tree - a scene borrowed by the Friday the 13th series and used in two separate films it was so popular.

One of the UK's famed "video nasties" of the 1980's, Night of the Demon is one of the few films to actually live up to that label.

The dvd from Code Red carries an apology for the source materials used for the disc. They really needn't have bothered. I was expecting a damaged, worn, colourless print with poor sound. The picture is of a good quality with minimal damage and strong colours, the sound is muffled once or twice but it is not distracting and is on the whole decent. I was very impressed with Code Red's presentation of Night of the Demon.
I recieved NIGHT OF THE DEMON a few weeks back. Only seen the old VIPCO tape so can't wait to finally see it uncut and in half decent quality!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter