View Single Post
Old 26th December 2011, 03:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Catching up on stuff from this year, a few picks that probably won't make my top 10:

Hanna

A solid, but pretty generic action thriller. A few decent set pieces here and there, but nothing particularly memorable. Odd casting comedy short-arse Tom Hollander as a rubbish psycho henchman. Cate Blanchett would've made a good main villain if her character had been given anything interesting to do. Even the much trumpeted Chemical Brothers sountrack was nothing special. All perfectly watchable, but swiftly forgotten.

Snowtown

Screw the Dragon Tattoo remake, this was clearly the 'feel-bad' movie of the year! Relentlessly and oppressively depressing, with not a single shred of levity throughout its lonnnng 119 minutes. That said, it was all beatifully shot and well performed, with a terrifying performance by Daniel Henshall as a very believable psychopath. A fine film, but not one I'll be coming back to in a hurry!

The Skin I Live In

A lot to admire here, though it never quite came fully to life for me. I don't wanna use the 'style over substance' cliche, but it didn't feel like there was a whole lot going on under the very slick surface. I never really cared about any of the characters, not helped by the stylistically detatched direction. The twists in the plot worked well, but I thought the themes of identity could've been explored more, with the third act and ending particularly unsatisfying. Great score though, like Philip Glass doing Bernard Herrman!
I loved Snowtown! in a normal way of course.Surely one of the darkest films I've ever watched